NACD Instructor standards violation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought those allegations were investigated by the CDS 2 years ago and dismissed?

Sent via

May 2013 a formal, written complaint was sent to the training chairman. He assigned a committee to investigate. The complainant could not provide the identities of anyone who witnessed the alleged violations. All we had was hearsay.

The "case" stayed open and active for a couple of months and the investigating committee never was provided with the names of the students or any witnesses. The complainant kept promising us those names, but we never got them. The "case" was closed.
So, I understand 0 (zero) investigating was done, all that was done was wait for the complaint to provide with names?

What I have an issue with allegations like this is that one person making claims doesn't mean it ever even happened. It could have occurred and it could just be some one with a personal axe to grind. This is my biggest concern when balancing addressing a real violation that needs action against someone's reputation. It should not be based upon hearsay and rumors.

Sent via
I get your point, but at the same time, doesn't all complaints start off as "hearsay" or "rumors", hence the need for an investigation, otherwise it would be the agencies just expelling any instructor anytime anyone makes a complaint.

We can hope it's not just axe-grindy politics, can't we??
We shouldn't need to hope, the investigating bodies should be unbiased to handle these situations, if they receive a complaint already believing it's hearsay/rumor or truth, then there's no need to investigate, they'd have the verdict even before the investigation starts.

All they can ask of witnesses is to alert them of POSSIBLE violations, yes, only the possibility it might have happened, sure it would be great if they can provide the hard evidence, but isn't that asking too much? Isn't collecting evidence something the investigators job to do?

Imagine this, person calls 911 and says there's a body laying on the floor he can kinda see through a window, he peeked because he heard a noise he thinks it's a gun shot, there was some loud noises and then it stopped, 911 operator tells him unless he can provide the name of the "deceased", the gun, video evidence of the killer shooting, a confession from the killer and 3 other independent eye witnesses to testify they saw the shooting, then they can't/won't do anything about it.
Come on!!!

I have never been in LOG thanks for the video Oliver. Thinking back on it I think I have only been in Orange Grove twice. I have heard it isn't that bad but I have no personal experience so who knows. Maybe after I get some more experience I will go check it out.

Pavao, i think an investigation into allegations is fine. Do you truly believe some one should be publicly named in a press release, damaging reputations, based solely on hearsay and rumors? "Come on!!!"

Sent via

I agree and that is what this thread is about. I would just like to hear from Rick exactly what training standards were violated.

[video=youtube;7YyV9CVLeHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyV9CVLeHA[/video]

NFOrDvvl.png

A PERFECTLY reasonable restriction for an intro diver

gtfo

The only restriction I am aware of (in sidemount) is minor and not deep. Not sure how deep exactly, but above 100'. For a diver who has his/her act together, it's not really a problem, certainly not the silt.

Also we do not know what kind of Trimix class it was, it could have been recreational trimix, maybe just to the gold line or slightly beyond, even without incurring a deco obligation.
Lower OG is 150ft from my memory. Isn't rec trimix 130ft?

Imagine this, person calls 911 and says there's a body laying on the floor he can kinda see through a window, he peeked because he heard a noise he thinks it's a gun shot, there was some loud noises and then it stopped, 911 operator tells him unless he can provide the name of the "deceased", the gun, video evidence of the killer shooting, a confession from the killer and 3 other independent eye witnesses to testify they saw the shooting, then they can't/won't do anything about it.
Come on!!![/QUOTE]

Well that's a silly point. Imagine that a guy calls the police saying he head a gunshot and kinda sees a bloody body on the floor. Then image that the police arrive with the paramedics then kick in the front and back doors guns out. Only to find that there is no body in fact the guy was napping in his bed. Imagine a guy has an heart attack and dies because the paramedics were busy with a false alarm. Then the police find out the caller had a long history standing feud with the guy in the house and just got a kick out of watching the doors get kicked in.

If you take away a mans livelihood you better have your i's dotted and cross your t's.

A PERFECTLY reasonable restriction for an intro diver

He fits without having to manipulate tanks or use body contortion?
Looks minor to me.

Lower OG is 150ft from my memory. Isn't rec trimix 130ft?

IANTD Recreational Trimix is limited to 150’ I think.

LOG goes down to about 170’, but that’s still a little swim. Using sixth’s, most people would likely need to turn on time.
Or of course on depth, either way the result is the same.

Where is the restriction and all the silt everyone keeps talking about? Did you edit those parts out Oliver?

The restriction is the one AJ made a screenshot of. It should be easy to master with a proper SM configuration (and probably BM too). As to the silt, yes, there's a lot on the floor.
I would not go in there with anyone who does not have the skills, which is true for any silty or low environment, especially when it's deep.

That is a restriction? Man they must be used to diving all those fancy caves. I am stuck to the river caves and nothing I see here looks bad. That cave looked huge. I need to go check it out now for sure. I thought it was a nasty cave from what all I had heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom