NACD Intro - 58cf Limit - Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a shame some agencies are so lax. I'm going to jump of my soapbox now and just feel fortunate about the training I received.

Cavemn, help me understand why you think that is lax?

It makes sense to me. From a student point of view, s/he doesn't have to lay out a ton of money to take cavern & intro. The student learns the skills, practices them, dives within the certs, and decides if and when to make the outlay of funds to go full cave.

However, the student also has the right to go into training with doubles. The student HAS to show mastery of the skills AND doubles, so that the cave environment task load does not over tax the diver who is unfamiliar with doubles. So, the instructor evaluates, and gives the thumb up/down for training in doubles.

I don't see "lax" in any of this, because the choice the instructors' whether they allow doubles or require them.

Me, I'm really glad I had a year to practice after sidemount training before signing up for cavern / intro.

Cavemn, help me understand why you think that is lax?

It makes sense to me. From a student point of view, s/he doesn't have to lay out a ton of money to take cavern & intro. The student learns the skills, practices them, dives within the certs, and decides if and when to make the outlay of funds to go full cave.

However, the student also has the right to go into training with doubles. The student HAS to show mastery of the skills AND doubles, so that the cave environment task load does not over tax the diver who is unfamiliar with doubles. So, the instructor evaluates, and gives the thumb up/down for training in doubles.

I don't see "lax" in any of this, because the choice the instructors' whether they allow doubles or require them.

Me, I'm really glad I had a year to practice after sidemount training before signing up for cavern / intro.

You don't see anything lax about allowing students into a cave without redundancy? What about someone who has been certified a week being qualified to take intro to cave? What about not requiring any sort of intro to tech before cavern?

Could someone point me to the proper thread where I could ask some ignorant questions about cave diving? I'm interested, but not to the point where I want to take a class yet. This forum doesn't seem to be the place for the curious or uninitiated.

Reactions: Jax
You don't see anything lax about allowing students into a cave without redundancy? What about someone who has been certified a week being qualified to take intro to cave? What about not requiring any sort of intro to tech before cavern?
This pretty much says it all.

Further, not all caverns are large and 20ffw like JB.

Edit: Cavern cannot be deeper than 60 ft.

Last edited:
Could someone point me to the proper thread where I could ask some ignorant questions about cave diving? I'm interested, but not to the point where I want to take a class yet. This forum doesn't seem to be the place for the curious or uninitiated.

This forum should be, but I would recommend buying one of the various books for specifics like some mentioned in this thread. If you read between the lines in this post we covered some requirements for the different levels. Whether I agree or not is my opinion. The original question about the 58 cuft limit is actually covered in my old NACD workbook.

Funny how $$ decides what level of redundancy one takes into a cave. Some backwards to me.

If you aren't in a position to invest the proper amount of time and money into an endeavor, then don't.

This pretty much says it all.

Further, not all caverns are large and 20ffw like JB for instance. I was in a cavern at 165ffw. There's nothing OW or non-tech about that kind of situation.
Neither the NSS-CDS or the NACD have training that addresses dives below 130ft.

Neither the NSS-CDS or the NACD have training that addresses dives below 130ft.

This is something I have wondered about.

Is everyone diving deeper than 130 feet in a cave exceeding their training? (Leaving aside GUE that I know nothing about)

This is something I have wondered about.

Is everyone diving deeper than 130 feet in a cave exceeding their training? (Leaving aside GUE that I know nothing about)

Ooops, do I get some kind of ticket for exceeding depth?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom