Name 1 Scuba-related Thing You've Done Which No One Else Has

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCNaiad

Dive babble all day long
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Name one scuba-related thing you've done which you're fairly certain no one else on Scubaboard has done (i.e., something you saw, did or experienced underwater, on a dive trip, and/or in some way that is related to scuba).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's mine: Alone on a dive trip to the Philippines, I was treated for dengue at a former leper colony hospital which still has lepers on site.

My wife and I were down in The Keys off of Islamorada with a group of people diving, when the two of us just spontaneously began to slowly dance underwater.

When we surfaced and got on board the boat, someone said "Well, I saw something I've never seen before in all my years of diving". Someone asked him "What was that?" He replied "two people dancing!"

Last year a combination of events led mt to tech teach the first two dives (shallow training dives) of a technical diving class on a wreck(age) called the Copenhagen in Pompano Beach. I needed to be wearing doubles, of course. The only doubles I had were last used on a deep trimix dive, and had a lot of that mix left. I topped them off with air for the dive. I may thus be the only ScubaBoard participant to dive the Copenhagen (maximum depth = 30 feet/9 meters) on trimix.

A few days ago, I was looking at a giant green moray, whose head was poking out of a hole in the reef. The moray started to come out slowly toward me, so I slowly backed up, still facing it. It continued to move slowly toward me, so I continued backing up. Eventually we reached the point that it was completely out in the open. It's tail was on the ground, the main part of its body was vertical, and the neck bent so the head was still facing me. Our heads were about 3 feet apart. It just stared at me, perhaps intrigued by its reflection in my mask. It looked like a snake charmer with a cobra. I don't know how long that would have continued, but eventually I moved on.

I've done a lot of stuff, but these stories are awesome. I am always looking for the next adventure.

I saw a fairly large Great White on the Oriskany a few years back. I was doing a light deco profile and was working my way around the island right at the flight deck. On my ascent at about 100' I looked out over the flight deck and saw her. Big girl too. I couldn't have been 40' away. I hung out on the superstructure until she moved out of my field of view - then worked my way up into my deco profile. I believe it was "Catherine" who had been GPS tagged and ID'd about 20 miles to the East a few weeks prior. Evidently she was moving up and down the coast.

1990, My hubby and I did a Belize live-aboard on a converted shrimper, sleeping bags on deck at night in the rain. I don’t know if this kind of primitive accommodations exist anymore, but i haven’t heard of it on Scubaboard anyway.

Last edited:
Due to the topographical nature of Monterey Bay at Pt. Lobos, I have to say "come nose to nose with a Leopard Shark". He was on one side of this rocky out crop- I and my buddy on the other. And, unbeknownst to either of us, we were swimming in the same direction, same depth. When we reached the point- BOOM! We were face to face. Don’t know who was more flipped out; us or the shark. Quite Keystone Cop comical.

I (accidentally) abandoned my teenage son during a night dive in the red sea... completely lost him...
We both were in our first year of diving, maybe somehere around dive # 60 or so and were really comfortable and probably thought of ourselves as "great divers" and started to get negligent on the very basics... While it was a night dive with DM, my son and I explored on our own as a buddy pair. I got a bit carried away with an octopus, trying really hard to get a picture.... And played with getting a better pone by going lights off and switching on just prior to taking the pic. Did not work really
And when I came to my senses no one else was there. All good I could see where the lights were quite a ways away and my son was the only one with yellow gins, I'll find him, so I calmly swam over there...
And I found the yellow fins, swimmi g at a good clip away from the boat and we got close to turning pressure. Holy Cr.. I thought I better catch him. But I also thought lets surprise him so I went lights out...
Well, it wasn't him.
It was a whole different group.
Idiot me, at least 2x over.
To my surprise (when we started the dive we were the only boat and it did not occur to me that another might arrive after dark...)
Now I was still calm but noticeably less so. THUMP THUMP THUMP heart in throat... Worst dad and worst diver in the world lost son at night in the read sea.... HOW IN THE WORLD can anyone loose their budfy during a night dive... That's pretty hard to do...
OK, calm down, swim back (a few hundred yards by then), find lights (glad I took a heading...)...
When I got back to roughly where I lost him, I saw the faint glow of lights behind the tall coral ridge we were on, from the other side. While I was Octopus crazy, the group went over and back down and another group was passing on "my side".
So anyway, I found him, just in time to make our way to the boat.
I already knew I make a bad buddy camera in hand, I had no idea that bad. Worse, apparemtly that bad that my son wasn't much phased by it... Big "meia culpa and we / I got to do better than this talk" afterwards...
Definitely identified a bad habit to drop while buddied up...
Definitely got a few things to think about in terms of complacency...
Yeah and that octopus (my first) was really mesmerizingly cool, I definitely was an idiot squared...

Last edited:
1990, My hubby and I did a Belize live-aboard on a converted shrimper, sleeping bags on deck at night in the rain. I don’t know if this kind of primitive accommodations exist anymore, but i haven’t heard of it on Scubaboard anyway.
Sounds like adventure...
Well, if anyone knows of still existing cost concious options for those willing to go primitive, please do tell, maybe in another thread...
Edit: I am aware of Blackbeard, I see it as cost concious and hope to go some day, I would not call it primitive, just simpler, but it's an option, ... certainly less adventurous then the above post...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom