Name that Mexican Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a bull shark. See the blunt snout, two lower fins and notched caudal fin.

bull-shark.jpg

110284d1323555977-name-mexican-shark-shark.jpg

I'm no expert, especially on Atlantic sharks, but I'm not sold on the bull shark as the dorsal fin isn't quite right, the pec fins aren't pushed forward enough and the animal doesn't look heavy enough. I see little reason to rule out Caribbean reef shark (C. perezii).

I'm no expert, especially on Atlantic sharks, but I'm not sold on the bull shark as the dorsal fin isn't quite right, the pec fins aren't pushed forward enough and the animal doesn't look heavy enough. I see little reason to rule out Caribbean reef shark (C. perezii).
You could be right - that sort of occurred to me also.

Talking with one of the shark biologists at my work....he says that it could be either a Carribean Reef Shark or a Sandbar Shark. Fairly similar species even in hand. Though he leans more towards reef shark just for the greater abundance in that area.

Hmmmm... I'd weigh in on this, but I already did, and now you're hunting for a second opinion. Let me know what your consensus is; I'm sticking by my original answer! :) How's the weather in your neck of the woods, and when are you coming back??

KB, Well initially you were the standout on Reef shark. And you might have been the 7th or 8th opinion even. Early reports were bull. Even your hubbies hubby's compatriot went with bull. Now it seems it is all shifting to reef. The boat reported seeing it again just the other day and that report is saying reef. I may just have to give up and go back for better pictures.... :lol2: Seriously though we plan on being back for carnival.

Last edited:
The standout identifying characteristic for sandbar sharks is a taller-than-normal dorsal fin that I just don't see on the shark in the pic. My opinion stands at Caribbean reef shark.

Back
Top Bottom