Name your favourite Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Grey Reef shark is my favorite! Not too big not too small and they just look like what a shark should look like they're a GOOD LOOKING shark. Never dove with on the sharks that I had the opportunity to dive with are little Horn sharks and Leapord sharks in California, Black tip Reef sharks and Lemon sharks in Tahiti and White tip Reef sharks in Hawaii.

But, in all, any time you get to dive with sharks, no matter the type, they are just amazing animals!!!

Lose the fear start the Love!!!

Indeed! I know whatever shark I encounter first, I know it will be a moving and life changing experience. although anytime I dive it is just a moving experience and reminds me why I love doing it.

The name of my favorite shark is Ralph. He was a nurse shark in Key Largo. Let me shoot his pic while laying under a ledge. Got within about 2 feet of him. Told me he was nursing a hangover so no more than 3 shots with the flash.

Oh, i almost forgot!! My other favourites are the Port Jackson Sharks! They are small and cool looking:

Heterodontus_portusjackson.jpg

You took the words right out of my mouth. And a picture is worth a thousand words.

Favourite shark is the wobbegong.
I like their really distinctive look and the fact that although they can be a good size, then can almost completely blend into the bottom.
I saw several of these about 6 feet long at South Solitary Island off Coff's Harbour, Australia, and some small ones around Lady Elliot Island.
My favourite shark moment: In a little canyon, I passed about 2 feet above one that was resting on the bottom, almost invisible. (I wasn't looking closely enough). I startled it, and it popped out of the sand with no where to go, and it didn't bite me.
The picture attached here is from the Wikipedia common.

Attachments

• Wobbegong.jpg
    Wobbegong.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 43
Soggu-You beat me to it! I love wobbegongs. They couldn't be better suited to blend in with their benthic habitat and they will eat ANYTHING. We had one at an aquarium I used to work for. We would always find our latest expensive fish hanging from its mouth in mid swallow. I watched it eat our southern stingray, then later our CEO asked me if I could do something to save our $500 tesselata moray. Nothing to be done, the eel had stopped squirming before I got to it. Diving in a tank with it was kinda creepy because it blended in so well with the fake coral. I'd look over every so often to see my foot within grasp of its mouth. We also had a sand tiger, leopards, blacktips, whitetips, and nurse sharks, but that wobbegong left the deepest impression.

My favorite shark moment? I'd have to say it was watching a cookie cutter shark think about taking a bite out of my friend's back on a pelagic night dive.

Well before I go too far in answering this post I'm a newbie and haven't been diving since last July. Schedules have been hetic trying to get on the local Police Department. However I have had the privilage of diving with some sharks.

What is your favourite shark? - GW and Bull are close 2 or 2A depening on the day and my mood but I have to go with the Hammerhead.

Why do you like this shark? - It is an Apex predator who is reclusive relatively unknown and has just an awesome look to it.

Where have you dived with this shark, best place to see it? - I have dove in Belize off of Ambergries last July. Awesome diving and saw lots of nurse sharks.

Tell us your favourite shark moments! - 2 moments come to mind, from the same dive. During the Blue Hole dive our DM startered banging on his tanks and pointing into the Indigo blue water. After a few seconds I saw 2 black tip reefers come out form the hole and approach within 30 feet of our group.

At the end of our dive while doing our SS at 15 feet, we had a group of about 5-6 sharks patrolling below us in the Movie Typical circular movements of around and around. I will never forget those moments.

My head is usually stuck thinking about prehistoric times, so my favorite has to be Carcharodon megalodon, but I'll never get to dive with it. That's probably a good thing, though!

The white tip reefy was my first shark (on my first dive in the ocean), so that species will always hold a special spot in my heart.

The nurse and grey reef sharks are cool, but the bull shark I saw off Looe Key was the one that really made me go "WHOA"!

If you gave me the chance to swim with any shark I wanted, it would be the great white, assuming a cage was provided. If no cage, I'll take the whale shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom