Nanaimo/Comox diving in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Token

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning ahead... I'm looking to come out to Vancouver Is. early next June for a week, doing as much diving as possible. I'm looking at the Comox area since I can fly straight in from Calgary.

So...what do people suggest? I'm a relative novice to scuba, so I'm looking for some kind of guided situation either on a boat or from shore. I've done some web searching but I haven't really seen any outfit that makes me want jump in with them [not to disparage anybody...just no compelling website presence]. I know there are things like algae blooms...are these in full swing everywhere by June? Anything I should know or consider...please fill me in. TIA...

Bill at Pacific Pro Dive in Comox is an awesome guy, great instructor, he took me out on the best dive of my life last year, to the Capilano shipwreck. Mind you, the Capilano is an advanced dive, but I am sure he can take you out on stuff that suits your skill level. I've really been hoping to get out there again, I just haven't had time to fit it in to my schedule. In Nanaimo, there is Ken at Diver's Choice, and Ed at Sundown Divers, both nice guys who can take you out on the artificial reefs there.

The viz is basically unpredictable. There can be algae blooms in early June, but you never know. Basically, you pay your money and you take your chances! However, even if the top 30 feet is murky, usually it will clear at depth, particularly if you are doing boat dives away from fresh water run off. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom