Nanaimo, Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! I will be visiting Nanaimo for a couple of days later this month and would like to get a dive or two in. If anyone would be interested in hooking up for some diving on July 29th or July 30th (or both days) let me know. I'm game for anything , but am most interested in the "Cape Breton" and the "Saskatchewan."

I'm ok with Ocean Explorers or VI Diving......whatever works. Damn, i'm ok with shorediving!

If anyone is interested, let me know.........

Best regards;
jbm

Both Ocean Explorers and VI Dive are excellent operations ... personally I prefer the latter. There's a smaller outfit called "Technically Speaking" which is also quite good (and less expensive). You won't get all the amenities, such as on-board Nitrox ... but if your group's small, Cap'n Harry's boat is quite comfortable and easy to accommodate your itinerary.

From the perspective of someone who doesn't penetrate these wrecks, I prefer the Saskatchewan. It's not as physically imposing as the Cape Breton but it has far more life on it. My favorite way to tour is to swim from midships to bow, drop down in front of the bow (an incredible view looking back if vis is good), swim the "mudline" down one side to the screws, swim under the ship at the screws, ascend back to the deck, and make my way to the ascent point.

There are some other excellent dives you might be interested in. Two of my favorites are Snake Island Wall and Jesse Island.

Snake Island Wall goes quite deep ... and there's a huge overhang at around 110 fsw or so that's spectacular. But my favorite part of the dive is in the shallows above the wall (a great place to decompress for 25 or 30 minutes after doing the overhang). Making your way toward the island you'll encounter a lot of boulders and small ledges that harbor massive amounts of sealife ... octopus, wolf eels, many species of nudibranchs, and other cool critters. And if you come in at the right place and time, the harbor seals that call this island home will come out and play with ya. It's pretty cool.

Jesse Island is a diver's playground. It's a small island that's privately owned. On the westward end of the island is a dock ... and just past the dock is some incredible structure that's been carved by the tides out of the sandstone. There are caves and swimthroughs aplenty, ledges and overhangs, and generally a lot of stucture to play around in. The other end of the island is more walls, ledges, overhangs ... and tends to harbor more marine life (being the seaward side, I suppose). Avoid the middle of the island, as it's mostly just sand bottom. Depths on either end will generally top out at around 80-90 fsw, with a lot of the interesting structure in the 30-50 fsw range ... so you can get nice, long dives. This is a great place for a final dive after a couple on the ships.

There's no shore diving in Nanaimo to speak of. There are a couple of moderately interesting dives north of the city, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how to find them.

Have fun ... it's one of my all-time favorite playgrounds ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There's no shore diving in Nanaimo to speak of. There are a couple of moderately interesting dives north of the city, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how to find them.

Have fun ... it's one of my all-time favorite playgrounds ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)[/QUOTE]

No shore diving! There is shore-diving aplenty around Nanaimo and just north in Nanoose Bay, as well as south toward Ladysmith and Chemainus!

Check out Betty Pratt-Johnson's 151 Dives for some of the choices around Nanaimo and area. You can also look on the tourism Nanaimo website for a map of the dive sites (both shore and boat-accessed).

It's one of my favourite areas to dive, with so many choices!

BlueDiver, this post is 5 years old, by now I'm sure that Bob knows that there is some shore dives in Nanaimo.:wink:

Al

BlueDiver, this post is 5 years old, by now I'm sure that Bob knows that there is some shore dives in Nanaimo.:wink:

Al

Indeed, I've found a few shore dive sites up there since I wrote that in 2003 ... although they're not in Nanaimo ... but they're close enough to be easily doable for someone who's vacationing there.

Keel Cove and Sunrise Beach are in Horsewell Channel ... a few miles north of Nanaimo. Drumberg Park and Orlebar Point are on Gabriola Island, which is a 20-minute ferry ride from Nanaimo.

Ladysmith? Doable, but if you're gonna go that far you might as well be vacationing in Victoria rather than Nanaimo ... plenty of diving to be had down that way.

But if there's a shore dive site IN Nanaimo, I haven't found it yet ... although granted I haven't really been looking all that hard.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I knew that the post was old, but just as I was able to find it, so would any other newer member of this forum... and come to the same conclusions - if they didn't know better!

"From Edmonton..." is a misnomer as I am actually "from" Victoria! Edmonton is just my current, but not future, address.

There are many shore dives in Nanaimo itself and you could contact any dive shop and they would be happy to tell you about them, with maps! (at least ours would) and provide a DM if you desired. That was my only point.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom