Narc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anemone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Errr....i don't quite now where to post this to. I have a question. I know it depends on individual body to have nitrogen narcosis, but doing deep dive, 30m (PADI Advance OW) is there possibility to act foolish. My buddy last week trying to give her regulator to the fish! And we only dove 26m. Is it normal? :frown2:

anemone:
Errr....i don't quite now where to post this to. I have a question. I know it depends on individual body to have nitrogen narcosis, but doing deep dive, 30m (PADI Advance OW) is there possibility to act foolish. My buddy last week trying to give her regulator to the fish! And we only dove 26m. Is it normal? :frown2:

Gimme a break.. Have you been drinking or something? Are you posting this at 180ft on air? You been doing whip-it's or something?

Well - coming from Dubai I don't suppose anyones been drinking! In answer to the question though - it would be not be normal to have narcosis at that depth. Maybe your buddy would do well to have a medical checkup from a doctor who knows about diving to see if there is some special reason why something like that was happening (unless she was just taking the p*** and larking about). Put it like this - if I got dizzy at 26 m it would frighten the life out of me - it's not deep - but you still can't breath without a regulator in your mouth connected to a tank with air in it! If this genuinally happened - I'd want to know why!!

My instructor used this example as a joke in by OW class... I've heard several instructors use the same example. Pad you post count with real non-sense.

KimLeece:
Well - coming from Dubai I don't suppose anyones been drinking! In answer to the question though - it would be not be normal to have narcosis at that depth. !!

I'd disagree here. Narcosis can come on at any depth, it depends on the susceptibility of the diver, there isn't a Narked switch in your brain that flicks on at 30m. I would suggest doing some shallower dives and see if the problem happened there.

I have also heard the story of giving the reg to fish on many occasions so would take it with a pinch of salt. Makes me wonder why people would do this though, you have a perfectly good alternate regulator for the fish :54:

Narcosis is no joke. It is as individualized as the effects of alcohol. During our advanced classes, another instructor and I demonstrated the effects of narcosis at as shallow as 75 feet. It is not always evident, but narcosis is present at surprisingly shallow depths.

Nitrogen Narcosis does come on at any depth. I been diving at 170 ft on air but the Nitrogen did not really affecting significant on me. I can recall the only time that I suffer from Nitrogen Narcosis once real bad was at 60 ft of water.

I beleive a diver's physical/mental condition contribute as a major factor from suffer of NN.

my instructor also used the fish story during the open water and she also said that a lot of the people working on the island's resorts used to dive deep sometimes so they could feel the efects of narcosis. they seemed to enjoy it so a certain level...

she said the effect was something like smoking a joint and one of the feeling they liked were the bubbles on their faces.

What the heck are you people talking about? 30m = 98.4252 ft That is definately deep enough to be narc'd to the gills. You are narc'd at much shallower depths even though you may not realize it. That is the reason nitrogen narcosis can be so dangerous, you don't know you are impaired. I suggest a few people go back and review their open water manual.

Welsh_Dive_Pro:
Narcosis can come on at any depth, it depends on the susceptibility of the diver, there isn't a Narked switch in your brain that flicks on at 30m. I would suggest doing some shallower dives and see if the problem happened there.

My spouse is particularly susceptible at rather shallow depths but then she has problems with anxiety anyway. In her case nitrogen narcosis tends to exacerbate her anxiety and she feels the effects on most dives between 30 and 80 feet. Most of our diving is in fresh water and it starts to get cold and dark at that level which probably raises her level of anxiety and starts a feedback loop of sorts with the narcosis. In clear water with good viz and lots of light however I she has been to 110' with no problems.

In my case I function adequately well in the 100-130 range on a regular basis and have been to 150 on air fairly often although I use extra caution here, dive very conservatively in all other aspects and will abort the dive if things are not going exactly as planned. I had one dive however where I experienced a feeling of anxiety at 135 ft and immediately called the dive The feeling faded at around 110 feet but I still ended the dive.

I have also heard the story of giving the reg to fish on many occasions so would take it with a pinch of salt. Makes me wonder why people would do this though, you have a perfectly good alternate regulator for the fish :54:

I don't agree with you there. I think it is far more appropriate for the diver to donate his or her primary to an OOA fish. And if the fish is a DIR fish, he will expect the primary to be on a long hose.

The diver's correct action in the initial example indicates to me that they were fully in control and were just mugging for effect.

Back
Top Bottom