Nasal decongestant sprays & diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keralucu

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What do the docs say about using Afrin Nasal Spray - 12 hour(oxymetazoline Hydrochloride) in the event of blocked sinuses before diving? It seems to have a lot of contraindications...

Hey Alison,

If you do a search on the word "Afrin", you'll get a hit of about 7 threads where the subject has come up.

I personally, went to my doctor and was prescribed Nasonex, which I believe is a much better solution.

Jimbo

I had an interesting experience using Afrin a while back. It's usually my drug of choice to relieve a stopped up nose and I have considered using it while diving if needed, but as of yet I haven't done that. Anyway, I had a cold and broke out the Afrin to help relieve it. As always, it done it's job rather well and for an extended period of time. But what was interesting was that I tired to equalize my ears while using it and 50% of the time one of my ears wouldn't equalize even though my nasal passages were clear. I'm not a doctor, but I thought this rather strange. And since discovering this, I'd refrain from diving under it's influence (that has an erie ring, doesn't it). Any of the board Docs care to offer an opinion as to what caused this?

Thanks for the info guys... and duh to me - I looked up everything exCEPT Afrin! therefore couldn't find any references to the chemical name..
:)

OK, ok, before the docs on the board have to answer my question, I've just read the other threads... sorry about that!

But I'd be interested to hear your opinions on Warhammer's query...

Thanks

As a rule most physicians (and other divers) do not recommend nasal decongestant sprays while diving for a couple of reasons:

1) The tendency for them to wear off at depth.
2) Drying of the nose & throat. You DEFINITELY don't want that when compressed air is pretty dry to begin with.
3) Rebound. (You wind up having to use more & more of the spray for it to be effective AND when it wears off you have a WORSE case of whatever you were using it for in the first place.) :eek:

I'm not a physician (nor do I play one on TV :wink:) but most divers if they must use a decongestant favour a long-acting version of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride like "Sudafed". However, as with any medication, there are caveats and counterindications with it as well. Check with a knowledgable diving physician for the full skinny.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

The problem with sudafed and sudomyl is that aside from drying the throat they also speed up the metabolism aswell.
In fact in my country they are no longer available except on prescription now because illegal drug pushers are adapting them for the marketplace.A pharmacist stated that it is another form of 'speed'.And that they are morphine based.I can't verify the latter but maybe a doctor can.They also take a certain time to 'kick in'.Sudafed has a 12 hour relief capsule and sudomyl is a 4 hour tablet.I find it takes about 1 hour to kick in and start drying the sinus region,but there is still some leakage so whether it is safe or not to dive is subject to the person.I know most people use sudomyl for diving over here.Maybe that helps.
They have the same problems in flying aswell.
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

Greg, you're right about the "speed" aspect of medications like Sudafed. As memory serves, a Canadian sculler was sanctioned at one of the Summer Olympic events because she inadvertedly used the wrong over the counter (OTC) decongestant which, as it happens, contained pseudoephedrine. And of course even though the medication is OTC in many countries, it is a "banned" substance as far as the Olympics are concerned.

As I mentioned, almost all medications have counterindications or side effects. And one of those associated with the aforementioned is how it can make you "jittery" or "anxious". In fact, my pharmacist friend recommends that people who take this medication only do so BEFORE noon; if it is taken any later in the day it can contribute to sleeplessness. (Been there, done that... she's RIGHT!)

BTW, I also wanted to point out that there is a difference between a decongestant and an antihistamine. In addition to combatting allergic responses to substances, and "drying things out", antihistamines may also make some people drowsy. So medications that contain BOTH decongestants AND antihistamines are generally not recommended for people who are using them to help them dive.

Again, I'm not a physician or a pharmacist. Just a (hopefully) informed health-conscious consumer.

TTFN,

~SubMariner~

There is a nice discussion about Sudafed, Nitrox and diving at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=570.

All non-steroid nasal decongestants will cause some rebound phenomena - some more than others. Afrin is one of the worst.

Oral Sudafed will not cause rebound. It is generally safe for divers to use, except possibly Nitrox diving, where it might increase the risk of oxygen toxicity.

on the subject, what about something like benadryl, its used to fight allergies, but it also dries you up. I'm a freediver and am not breathing the dry compressed air, will this be a better option than sudafed?

-Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom