National Geographic Diving Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dzer0:
I guess the biggest uphill challenge in this conversation is how little sarcasm and humor come out in text. I tried having a joke with you guys on mermaids, laughing fish, and a fashion show underwater. Perhaps in a normal conversation you could hear my tone, but general hyperboles just don’t lend themselves naturally in a message board.
You right about the sarcasm. Thats why I use those stupid little faces, since I am a very sarcastic *******.

And I just looked at a pic of the Mares HUD online. Brother, that is one dive fasion faux-pas. You might as well wear a tinfoil exposure suit, and a star-wars helmet when you dive. :D

Here’s the bumph on the PADI/NG Diver:

You’ll learn basic dive skills and safety information through the PADI Open Water Diver course.

You’ll be introduced to worldwide dive environments and opportunities by interacting with the National Geographic Diver Almanac and DVD.

You’ll learn to fine-tune your buoyancy to hover easily and maneuver carefully through delicate aquatic habitats.

You’ll learn how to observe your surroundings in order to get the best experience from each dive. You’ll gain practical experience by gathering information and collecting images to create a visual representation of a dive site, detailing what you’ve discovered through your observations.

You’ll improve your navigation skills and ability to find your way around underwater by using a compass as well as natural references.

You’ll be introduced to a multitude of aquatic species and be able to identify local plants and animals.

Sounds like an open water course to me.

I think you get really cool stickers, or something.

Thalassamania:
You’ll learn basic dive skills and safety information through the PADI Open Water Diver course.

Check. Got that with my NAUI OWD course.

Thalassamania:
You’ll be introduced to worldwide dive environments and opportunities by interacting with the National Geographic Diver Almanac and DVD.

No Check. Didn't get that with my NAUI OWD course.

Thalassamania:
You’ll learn to fine-tune your buoyancy to hover easily and maneuver carefully through delicate aquatic habitats.

No Check. I got that by diving. Certainly not through my NAUI OWD course.

Thalassamania:
You’ll learn how to observe your surroundings in order to get the best experience from each dive. You’ll gain practical experience by gathering information and collecting images to create a visual representation of a dive site, detailing what you’ve discovered through your observations.

Thalassamania:
You’ll improve your navigation skills and ability to find your way around underwater by using a compass as well as natural references.

Thalassamania:
You’ll be introduced to a multitude of aquatic species and be able to identify local plants and animals.

Thalassamania:
Sounds like an open water course to me.
Doesn't sound like my OWD. Which agencies OWD gives you all of that? BSAC probably does, other than that who? Now I agree, the NGD program is nothing but marketing hype, but it's good marketing hype. Align the biggest cert provider with the biggest enviroedu provider. It draws new people into diving. I guess the real question is: Should the industry market to new divers? Is this a Joe Camel? Is it bad to attract a new diver base?

archman:
I think you get really cool stickers, or something.

Really???????????

no stickers, but you do get a cool C card ...
NatGeoCard.jpg

...OK, so that is the real reason I took the class .. but I'm a card collecter anyway :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom