National Park fee increases will affect divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've just heard through the grapevine that national park fees are set to increase on Oct 1 for a number of popular parks that divers frequent. These include the Similan Islands NP and the Surin Islands NP, among others. The current fees for these two parks, which are generally charged as an add-on for liveaboard trips but most often are folded into daytrip prices, are THB 400 entry fee (per entry) with an additional THB 200/day for divers. So for the typicial 4-day liveaboard trip to the Similans and Richelieu, the total for divers has been THB 1600 [400 for Similans + 400 for Surins + (200 • 4 days)]. The reported increase will be to THB 500 per visitor for the entry fee; I haven't seen any report of an increase in the daily user fee for divers, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were to be increased as well. If this report is accurate and these increases are implemented, the total park fee for a 4-day liveaboard tour of the Similans/Richelieu will go up to THB 1800, and perhaps more if the user fee is also increased.

In the grapevine there have been quite a few rumours about this. However I think it is wise to publish this information when it is sure and confirmed and you know exactly how it will work out. And don't publish it when it is still 'in the grapevine'.

I am convinced it is true, but decided not to publish it because it is not yet confirmed.

I find it perfectly acceptable to publish with caveats of the type I included:
Yes, that is the same kind of information that the tabloids give.

Official decision on the national park fees should be announced on the 28th. As mentioned, I expect it to be confirmed, but the touroperators in Thailand are a quite powerful group, so it is not yet 100% confirmed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom