NAUI QUESTION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
While in the Navy,I was certified in 1973 by a NAUI instructor, (also a Navy diver),and received a Scuba Diver
Card. Not OW,AOW, just SCUBA DIVER
(The course was 3 months, including navigation and rescue. (what we learned, we learned well)

I dove the navy tables back then and logged over 350 dives by 1975, with the max depth of 170'.

I started diving again in 1999, (kids all grown and all) and have since logged 60 dives.

Last week the wife and I did our annual trip to Mexico and I used Studio Blue out of Coz. (great bunch, nice boats).
The owner of the shop told me my card was only good for 60' (by insurance companies) but I went ahead and dove 100.

Is this true that if something happens, my insurance company can hold any benefits due to the fact I only hold a rating of Diver?

how deep is 60 feet in metres....i work in metres and never learnt the compariables for feet.

As for your insurance company situation, with most certifications your only "suppose" to go down to x metres or X feet....if your deeper I would imagine your insurance company would say that your were out of the limits of your training and therefore not pay out etc...however, they have to prove you were deeper than your certification level permits.....these are my personal opinions...its best to get someone who knows the ins and out of the insurance stuff to jump in and tell me I'm all wrong and to ignore me !

you say this is a NAUI question....am I wrong in assuming that Scuba Diver is a PADI qualification...the one taken pre-O/W.

The diver certified as Scuba Diver is to be accompanied by a DM or higher.

Is there a scuba diver qualification in NAUI?

( Sorry to be a pain...but asking questions is the only way to learn!)

..........there was a "SCUBA Diver" certification. In some agencies it was called "Basic." This was the same training as given in the OW class, but only 2 check out dives were required. Often an instructor would issue the basic card even though more check out dives were completed.

In NAUI the OW card is called "SCUBA Diver" even today. The NAUI SCUBA Diver certification is roughly the same (although the training is different) as an Open Water certification from another agency.

OW divers are trained to a depth of 60 ft. The party line from all agencies is not to exceed your training. Since you've not been trained to dive deeper than 60 ft that is your theoretical depth limit. Most operators will limit those without an Advanced card or recent deep experience to 60 ft.

The dive operator was not talking about your health or life insurance. He was referring to his liability insurance. It's likely he was using the insurance argument merely to shut you up. His insurance is probably not so restrictive. When I worked for a charter operation we used to blame company policy on insurance restrictions or Coast Guard regulations when in most cases neither applied.

WWW™

I know as soon as possible I will be taking the Advanced Scuba Diver (NAUI) or OWA (PADI) to have that under my belt. I did the refresher CD to brush up on any new, (and there were) safety guidelines and techniques. Hell, when we learned, there was no such animal as a BCD...LOL (I now sport a nice Zeagle and enjoy the ease of "hanging" at my safety stops! Thanks for the info.

Search around for the advanced class with the most dives. You want different types of dives and as much experience as possible. PADI requires 5 dives, but you may find an instructor willing to teach beyond that minimum and teach you additional skills. NAUI requires 6 dives, but that is still way short of what advanced should be. You may also find an instructor willing to teach beyong NAUI standards. YMCA has 2 advanced classes, AOW and Silver Advanced. AOW is a joke - only 5 dives so don't bother with it. Silver Advanced requires 10 dives and is an excellent course. Interview potential instructors and get something out of the class.

WWW™

When I was initially certified there were two ratings and no specialties. The ratings were Scuba Diver and Instructor (YMCA).
Rick

Ok, I certified with NAUI, my c-card says SCUBA Diver, and I'm not quite sure what they're telling you. As most folks have learned, the depth limit for recreational diving is 130'. Yes, technically, your card certifies you to dive in conditions equal to or better than your checkout dives. However, I would think that it is generally assumed that as you better your skills, you will venture farther afield of the original conditions. This is called learning. From your post, something you did quite extensively.

Now I have heard of more than one operator who give specific depth limits to the divers on their boats. And as stated by Walter that is mainly to cover their own backsides on insurance and lawsuits. One in particular is the Rinn Boats who do trips to the Flower Gardens. You pass 100' and your diving for the weekend trip is over.

That's about all I could figure on this one.

Scubatexastony,
I remember those "good old days",with the numberless "BasicScuba" C card, at a time
when the horsecollar BC was high tec, the SPG was a novelty, and the J valve, if you had one, supplied the
"margin" of safety.( now was it up or down at the start of the dive???, hmmmmm,)
It's fun (?) to think back to that era.
take care,
MikeD

Back
Top Bottom