NAUI Rescue Diver Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if it's a weight belt or something that I can clip to my rig, I just use my rig and deal with it. If I have to hold onto it, it depends on what it is, drop risk, how heavy etc etc. That's one of those gray areas that you have to evaluate at the time

Yes. You should be able to without BC. And that is a skin diver drill. But if you're a DM in full scuba gear, how should you do this exemplifying responsible safe diving techniques, for someone who has already been diving, is on compressed air from 20’ depth and using proper ascent rates... would you take 40 seconds of slowly decreasing your depth managed just with fins. Or use BC, or also reduce the weight, or just clip a line to it, get back in the boat and have the dropper haul it up by hand. And if this is a realistic DM task, what if they had dropped an 18 lb. belt?

When my DM candidates start their training the first thing I tell them is the most important thing they can learn is to be a thinking diver and one who can adapt to situations. There is nothing in writing that states there is a "correct" method to your question. This is where the critical thinking part comes into play as well as using your knowledge and skills to resolve the issue.

I actually really like the using the DSMB as a makeshift lift bag idea. Not sure what the weight limit would be for any given DSMB, especially since there are varying lengths, etc. But in theory it sounds like a great idea.

But I agree with you @shurite7 . Diving is really more about practical application and adaptation than anything else. All the academics and principals associated with diving are really more guidelines. Definitely information you need to know, but at the spur of the moment, being able to remain calm and come up with a solution to an incident regardless of whether or not it's standard procedure makes for better divers. Or at least seems like it would.

Just as an update, I got some clarification in our RSB class last night. What we are actually going to get getting are two certifications. We'll getting the NASE Rescue Diver and than a NAUI Advanced Rescue Diver. So basically a two-for-one deal, which I'm really happy about. And the instructor is really trying to prepare us for the NAUI AI/DM certification, especially since the demand for both right now is fairly high. So provided I can take on the financial burden of yet another certification class (I think the AI/DM class is @ $500) by the end of the summer I just may reach my goal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom