Nauticam 4.33" Dome Port - Nex 5R

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Rokinon 8mm with this port. Haven't tried the 10-18.

The answer to the original post is that Nauticam is offering a new gear and seven inch port for the 10-18 zoom. The 4.33 inch port is not going to work with this lens.

Phil Rudin

The answer to the original post is that Nauticam is offering a new gear and seven inch port for the 10-18 zoom. The 4.33 inch port is not going to work with this lens.

Phil Rudin

thanks for that info phil. i actually went to a local store on the weekend to see if the 10-18mm lens would indeed fit into the housing without the use of zoom. unfortunately, the lens is too wide to even fir into the port, so theres no way one could use it with the 4.33" port. on the other hand, i tested the 18-55mm kit lens with the dome port and found that it fits no problem in the 18mm position and up to about 37mm zoom before touching the dome glass. i couldn't get the zoom to drift so one could technically use this lens with this port. i thought i would post this info for anyone in the future seeking fitment issues with the dome port before purchasing.

i am eagerly awaiting the release of the zeiss 12mm lens hopefully by this summer. if it indeed is as good as i think it is and fits in the 4.33" port, im sold.

one more thing about the ports. there are currently 3 ports available for the sony nex from nauticam. there is the 4.33" dome port (#36125) being discussed here, the semi-dome port (#36137) for the 18-55 kit lens, and a flat port (#36121) also for the 18-55 lens. the flat dome port is cheaper than the semi-dome but i was told from the supplier that the flat port is not desirable for wide angle as it creates a 25% magnification of the lens and has somewhat blurry edges. the lens will be closer to 24-65mm (as opposed to 18-55) and the edges will not be very sharp. i am just relaying info of what i was told so don't shoot me if its incorrect. flat port might be more geared towards macro than wide angle.

looking forward to more ports being released by nauticam this year.

Anthony I am confused by this post but I guess it is the difference in the camera models. I use the E-mount 4.33" Fisheye Port [36125] with the 18-55 and cna go all the wya to 55 with the nEX7 I guess it has a narrower body? I am pretty sure my friend with the NEX5 can do the same?

Anthony I am confused by this post but I guess it is the difference in the camera models. I use the E-mount 4.33" Fisheye Port [36125] with the 18-55 and cna go all the wya to 55 with the nEX7 I guess it has a narrower body? I am pretty sure my friend with the NEX5 can do the same?

Really? Thats not the case with my 5R. I wonder if they changed the size of the housing with the 5R and cut its depth a bit. Are you using a zoom gear on your 4.33" dome port with the 18-55 lens?

Last edited:
Really? Thats not the case with my 5R. I wonder if they changed the size of the housing with the 5R and cut its depth a bit. Are you using a zoom gear on your 4.33" dome port with the 18-55 lens?

Yes using zoom gear both for NEX7 and NEX5

Nauticam has at least eight different ports and four gears at this time for the NEX cameras. All of the Nauticam housings for mirrorless cameras have the same port mount size so the ports can be moved to M43 housings or among NEX camera housings both new or past. So the port I used with the NEX 7 and Sony 30mm macro is now being used for the Panasonic 45 mm macro and Olympus 60 mm macro with the 20mm port extension.

These ports are made of acrylic and if they are scratched on the out side the damage will not show in most cases. If the ports are scratched on the inside by using a lens not recommended for the port, by a filter, by mounting a lens hood and so on the damage will show in every photo taken going forward.

Nauticam ports are designed for best results with the recommend lens/lenses for which it was made and trying to make one size fit all will result in less than the best image quality.

I would recommend that you all look at the Nauticam port charts to see what works best. Nauticam.com has the most up to date port charts I have found.

Back
Top Bottom