Nautilus: includes all taxes except 100$ bar tab???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Layla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Everyone

I've just received my invoice for a trip on Nautilus next month

On the invoice it says:

Price includes: all taxes except for a 65$ per person port fee payable on board + nitrox + 100$ bar tab

Do I have to pay 100$ on top of my trip cost
Does anyone know what this is for :idk:
I don't drink alcohol on dive trips and I'm sure I won't drink 100$ worth of sprite :shocked2:

[I'd rather ask you guys rather than the agent who I booked through]

Thanks

L

I have sent Nautilas three emails

The first one they replied, the next two [replied to their email] they did not reply to

Last edited:
...when I did Nautilus a couple years ago, they kept 'score' and I paid up my modest accrued bar tab when I checked out on the last day of the trip when final bills are settled. I was X$ per beer, etc. Sounds kinda like they've decided to simplify their recordkeeping and assess a flat alcohol fee for everyone, kinda like the flat fee for a week of NITROX, for example. I've been on some liveaboards that bill by the drink, others that just include all alcohol within the basic package price (same price for drinkers vs non-drinkers), I've never seen a boat do what Nautilus is doing though. Sounds like they're taking a page from the airlines, advertising a low-ball basic trip price, then later on 'surprising' you with mandatory fees, which if they were being honest, should just be part of the basic advertised price, since they're mandatory/unavoidable. Ultimately we'll see things like free liveaboard (but there's a $ 4,000 tank rental fee) or free airfare, but the seat cushion rental fee is $ 800, just so comparison shoppers get suckered in by the best low-ball 'bid'. At least the US govt is heading towards more truth-in-advertising with respect to advertised (real world) airfares, looks like they might need to do the same with liveraboards too!

Most of the liveaboards I've been on have also just kept score as scubafanatic describes. Since for various good reasons I drink like two beers total during any trip, I'd consider such a mandatory charge ridiculous as well. As pointed out, such mandatory charges should just be included in the charter fee. I'd have to think you are causing more ill will by charging a separate mandatory fee, than turning away customers because your boat fee is $100 more than your competition. If I had a choice in boats, I'd choose another based solely on that mandatory charge.

Yes, I've been on many many liveaboard who charge you x$ per beer or y$ per glass of wine

I have travelled on a few American boats who say 'alcohol included free'
I don't drink, but I have paid via my cost of the trip so I don't really see it

I don't agree with assess a flat alcohol fee for everyone
I think that is wrong to charge it over the price of the trip if I have not taken anything from the bar

We are still guessing .... I'll give them a call

...when I did Nautilus a couple years ago, they kept 'score' and I paid up my modest accrued bar tab when I checked out on the last day of the trip when final bills are settled. I was X$ per beer, etc. Sounds kinda like they've decided to simplify their recordkeeping and assess a flat alcohol fee for everyone

Last edited:
I just looked on the Nautilus website and it only talks about taxes of port fees
and states 'do not bring your own alcohol as their bar prices are extremely reasonable, imported micro brews of 5.30$'

Don't know what a 'imported micro brew' is :idk:

An imported micro brew is a beer that some guys in California get together to make on a small scale, put a colorful label on it with a clever name and sell for lots of money because it is somehow "cool".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom