Nautilus Life Line Scuba Divers marine radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Nautilus Lifeline

Dear Swampers,

OK, I know divers are into gadgets, lots and lots of gadgets, but having an 8 mile working marine radio is this really necessary good to 240 feet deep?

What has happened to prompt this invention to divers?

Has there been a rash of missing divers this past year, I did not hear or read about?

Are the boat captains and dive operations leaving more divers in the water and returning to shore without them?

I don't know, maybe there is a great reason to have one of these strapped onto the rest of my already tied up D ring config with my BCD, but I will wait to hear your thoughts on this amazing new device for divers.

:rofl3:

So, you planning to get lost around Travis Shawn?

I can think of a movie about the divers in Australia, the guy last year or maybe 2 yrs ago that hung on to a buoy for a couple days off California and there was another...

I like gadgets, but unless someone starts a beer boat on Travis that hails to this radio, I think avoiding charters where this is really needed is a better plan for now.

I was thinking about getting one if those for when I take the kids to the pool...

I don't think it would work up at Lake Broken Bow, OK.
Even PETA won't come after me up there for using Goats and Burros to Shlup my gear down to the water.

Many places I dive at I'm the only person there to save me.

Still... if I'm on a Floridian or Mexican boat out on the waves... and they gave me one ... I'd wear it!

I was checking this thing out too. I probably wouldn't ever need it. But I'm thinking the ONE time I do need it, it would be worth it. I can't help but think we are all a little too quick to trust 20 something year old DMs to take accurate rosters when we jump off the stern of the dive boat. Its one of those better safe than sorry things and like I say, the one time it happens, I don't want to find myself hanging on a buoy in the middle of God knows where thinking I could have done something to avoid this... and didn't.

I can't wait to get one. My order is in, just waiting for delivery.

I've been in enough situations where if you were blown off a wreck/reef, there was nothing around except miles of water. Add some obligation, and the boat may not see your bag.

It's nice because you'll get the attention of every Marine VHF radio, with GPS coordinates; and it's not the "nuclear option" of activating a PLB/ELT, and launching national SAR assets.

All the best, James

Hi all
I have entered into the contest to see if I can when a Nautilus Lifeline. If I do, I plan on writing something on here about it when I get to test it in the field. If yall like to help me out you can go and vote by leaving a comment on my entry called Communications. Voting ends tonight.. Cheers
wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/87186/voteable_entries/13928377?ogn=website&order=recency

I think it is great .... it is on my to get list! It is always better to have it and not need it ........ then the other way around. IMHO

from their website: "This device is no replacement for a properly registered EPIRB." nuclear or not ... a 406 beacon is still the better option in an "Open Water" type scenario. and at $300 are you really saving that much ...

One reason this radio could be useful is that a diver in the water is very difficult to spot unless very near the boat.

It is very common for people in the water to see the dive boat or rescue boat but not been seen by people on the boat.

Mirrors, dye markers, sausages, flags, and dive lights are all useful for attempting to get the attention of the dive boat. This radio is a bit different, in that you can directly tell the boat what direction to go, even if they cannot see you.

I won't be buying one, but for some dive scenarios it would be an excellent safety device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom