Nautilus Lifeline Radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, thank for the info! I guess that clarifies the meaning of "marine radio". Now, what to do...?
There may still be confusion. Did you ask your liveaboard if they had a VHF radio, or only if they had DSC or AIS? "Marine" radio means too many different things.
Here's an alternative: you can get a cheap marine VHF radio and give it to the boat to listen for your emergency voice call (in Gen 1 Nautilus), then leave it with them as a tip.

'In Indonesia, a torn bill is not acceptable,"
Whose cousin got the contract to print fresh Rupiah?
No problem, you just tell them "I know US dollars aren't legal currency here, but when we get back to the dock I'll give you a fresh one."
Same problem, same solution. And you fly home (if you're a Colonial) and your home bank and stores will take it without hesitation. Yes, we're the same barbarians of European stock that used to take silver dollars and chop them into eight "bits". And sometimes, scant a little silver off each one.

There may still be confusion. Did you ask your liveaboard if they had a VHF radio, or only if they had DSC or AIS? "Marine" radio means too many different things.
Here's an alternative: you can get a cheap marine VHF radio and give it to the boat to listen for your emergency voice call (in Gen 1 Nautilus), then leave it with them as a tip.

In my initial email, I asked only about AIS/DSC because that's what the gen 2 has. They responded that they didn't have either, but had marine radio and satellite radio for emergencies. Yesterday, I found a used gen 1 for a reasonable price so I sent an email to the boat to ask specifically for VHF. They said yes, so I have a used gen 1 ordered...

Reactions: Dan
In my initial email, I asked only about AIS/DSC because that's what the gen 2 has. They responded that they didn't have either, but had marine radio and satellite radio for emergencies. Yesterday, I found a used gen 1 for a reasonable price so I sent an email to the boat to ask specifically for VHF. They said yes, so I have a used gen 1 ordered...
Great! You're good to go!
Now you need to find out what channels they use and what channels they monitor. In the US, typically a boat will use some channel like 78 for boat-to-boat chat and monitor 16 for emergencies. Your green button is then set to 78, the orange one is fixed on 16. the firmware update for the Gen 1 allows you to change the chat channel (green button) without connection to a computer, just by pushing its buttons. You want that.
I found in Indonesia that channel 16 might be the ONLY channel they use.
Take a look at Marine Radio Information for Boaters - BoatSafe.com and Marine VHF radio - Wikipedia.

That's good news. Before you head off for your trip, confirm with them which channel / channels the boat monitors. You'll want to change the Chat Channel to whatever non-emergency channel that they monitor. This can be done on the boat, but it's easier to use the Nautilus Setup program.

Also check with Nautilus for setup. They need to send you a "reset" file, which will clear the old MMSI number out of the unit, if the previous owner had set one. And then they have instructions on their web site for how to set one yourself, which is then assigned to you. Don't leave that for the last minute when you're packing for the trip.

Nautilus Radio is in hand!

I'm checking with Nautilus to see if they have a record of the battery replacement date. The listing said a new battery had been installed and it would be good to know when that happened.

Desktop software is installed.

I've yet to plug in the Radio to the computer to check on firmware, as I had it charging.

For the MMSI, I went to the page listed on the website, www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php, but it's different than what is described. The site wants you to create an account first? Then can you get an MMSI? (I don't want to register an account if this site is no longer used. The registration form is unencrypted, so I'd rather not fill it out unless there's no choice.) Anyone get an MMSI recently?

I'm checking with Nautilus to see if they have a record of the battery replacement date. The listing said a new battery had been installed and it would be good to know when that happened.

I've yet to plug in the Radio to the computer to check on firmware, as I had it charging.

For the MMSI, I went to the page listed on the website, www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php, but it's different than what is described. The site wants you to create an account first? Then can you get an MMSI? (I don't want to register an account if this site is no longer used. The registration form is unencrypted, so I'd rather not fill it out unless there's no choice.) Anyone get an MMSI recently?

According to my buddy, who owns the old Nautilus Lifeline, you have to apply for an MMSI #/account.
MMSI Info - Nautilus Radio | Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS

I got an MMSI in Canada (just last week) so not of any help to you. It took me less than 24hrs to get an MMSI issued after sending my application va email.

I will be paying attention to this thread as I, too, need to figure out how this radio works!

Last edited:
According to Maritime Mobile Service Identity MMSI are regulated and managed internationally by the International Telecommunications Union in Geneva, Switzerland. So, to me it doesn’t matter where you are and where you get the Nautilus Lifeline from, you should be able to get the MMSI for it just about from anywhere in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom