Nautilus Lifeline Radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Nautilus Lifeline GPS is NOT a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), which operates at a different frequency and has a different and more reliable alert protocol.

The present generation Nautilus Lifeline GPS is 156.525, 161.975 and 162.025 MHz VHF Radio -DSC and AIS frequencies respectively- and is only a distress alert & relay beacon: it will only work with terrestrial marine units (i.g. commercial ships & recreational boaters), and land base stations (US Coast Guard Search & Rescue), provided that they are within range. Also depending on how remote the divesite location is, your diveskiff or liveaboard may be the only vessel with a receiving VHF radio within hundreds of kilometers. Essentially you're transmitting out a distress signal hoping there will be someone with a VHF radio with DSC/AIS within range to receive and competently & expeditiously knows how act on it.

On the other hand, Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) are transmitters at 406 MHz, and are a direct alert and space uplink to a global & international treaty government-run emergency network satellite system (Cospas-Sarsat), continuously monitored 24/7, which is used worldwide to alert regional/local Search and Rescue gov't agencies in the event of a dire emergency. Activated PLB signals are identifiable to a specific individual, allowing rescue agencies to look up your emergency information in a database (including name, phone number, marine or land application, emergency contact, etc.). When your PLB transmits, rescuers know who you are and can phone your emergency contacts to verify your planned itinerary and local dive operation location/contact numbers. Your position is initially tracked to less than a 2 nautical mile radius with the 406 MHz frequency signal, with further GPS transceiver proximity enhancement to within a few meters or older technology analog International Air Distress (IAD) 121.5 MHz final homing directional finding search signal for rescue aircraft/ships to at most 30 meters. PLB's are your backup and the last best chance for rescue when all other local terrestrial based VHF marine search radio communication devices such as the Nautilus unit fail.

As a US Citizen for example, your US registered PLB is a last chance back-up in case the Nautilus VHF Beacon drops out because of range limitations (Nautilus advertises 57km maximum, but realistically at best only 20km in high swell seas & rain conditions). Even if there is no organized national or government Search & Rescue available in the remote location you're in, this is how it still can work with your local dive operation:

The PLB when activated uplinks to the COSPAS/SARSAT System as described above --your designated emergency contingency contact should be provided by you smartly beforehand, with at least cellphone calling numbers & information on the dive operation, the resort or liveboard that you're using, and emergency contact numbers for the US Embassy if you're internationally overseas visiting a particular country. In other words, the Rescue Coordination Center in the United States and/or the US Embassy can still call your dive operation base station or resort, and relay vital GPS coordinates to your location as determined by the COSPAS/SARSAT satellite system.

Last edited:
I thought I'd read that Nautilus was going to come out with a new version that also has the integrated vhf radio like the original. Did I dream that?

Gen 1 nautilus is awesome. Having the ability to talk to the boat is invaluable.

I once surfaced somewhat far from the boat in surprisingly high seas (nothing crazy but enough) with the sun behind us. The combo of all that made us super hard to see, even with a 3' SMB.

The boat was clearly visible to me when we were at the top of the swells. The nautilus made it downright trivial to hail the boat and give our position relative to the boat. 10mins later we were back on board. The nautilus made a potentially "interesting" situation into no big deal.

Great tool, I highly recommend.

Thanks for that info PfcAJ. What you said is kind of the expectation I had with the First Gen radio, which is why I opted to track one down. I'm doing a boat dive on Sunday, so I will have it with me. It gets delivered before noon tomorrow.

Thanks for that info PfcAJ. What you said is kind of the expectation I had with the First Gen radio, which is why I opted to track one down. I'm doing a boat dive on Sunday, so I will have it with me. It gets delivered before noon tomorrow.
For voice VHF radio, a Nautilus Lifeline 1st Gen in the water should be able communicate in flat seas and clear weather out to the visible horizon at 5km/3miles, to a Diveboat with an antenna 4.5m/15ft above the water. However, if you get swept around a rocky point effectively blocking line of sight, your communication reception will be spotty at best.

This is not an issue in divesite areas like Santa Catalina Island -front side facing the mainland LA Basin & SoCal Coastline- where you have plenty of recreational boaters to relay your message, routine or distress, and line of sight US Coast Guard mainland monitoring station with their hundred foot tall antennas to at least directly receive a Nautilus DSC distress signal.

But in remote far offshore places like San Nicolas Island, Cortes & Tanner Banks, or even backside of any of the Southern California Channel Islands facing the open Pacific Ocean, the only local VHF radio source to communicate with will be your Diveboat/Liveaboard. (And it's here as well as at international remote locations & divesites where you should have a direct-to-satellite PLB as back-up or as your primary lost-at-sea distress beacon.)

Last edited:
I wanted to grab the Gen 1 while I still could. But I'll probably also pick up a Gen 2 before the year is out. That way I have the full arsenal at my disposal.

I wanted to grab the Gen 1 while I still could. But I'll probably also pick up a Gen 2 before the year is out. That way I have the full arsenal at my disposal.
You have a Gen 1; as back-up I would recommend a PLB instead, especially if you plan to do a lot of overseas international diving.

Here's my kit:
image-jpeg.409985.jpg

Gold PLB Dive Canister on Right Hip; Halcyon Diver's Life Raft in pouch clipped onto Butt D-ring and attached with shock cord to harness. Palau Wall & Drift Dive. All the Liveaboards and most of the land-based Dive Operations in Palau have (working?) VHF Radios. If they lose sight of you for whatever reason, whether they can receive and detect a Nautilus Lifeline DSC signal in time before you drift away in the current beyond VHF range is the issue, hence the choice of a direct to satellite PLB transmitter as a back-up or as the primary lost-at-sea distress signal.

image-jpeg.409674.jpg

McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB in Gold Dive Canister (on Right Hip), Diver's Life Raft attached to bottom edge of Backplate; on the WWII Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes, off east coast Sri Lanka, Indian Ocean. Although our Dive-Op skiffs all had GPS handheld receivers to locate the wreck, none had VHF Marine Radios at the time (2010).

That PLB and case is a ton of money. The dive canister costs more than the PLB itself. I'm thinking the Nautilus Gen II at $180 which doesnt need the canister is much more affordable.

If you have a Gen 1 lifeline, a Gen 2 one adds nothing.

It would be nice if there were a plb in that form factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom