Nautilus Lifeline Radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the Nautilus 1 's GPS lets you store GPS points with date and time reference. It does that automatically after it has been activated and gound it's position. And you can read out the GPS coords on the display and if you dealt with an older marine radio at the other end you could communicate your coords that way also.
You can also download your GPS log ... and see where e.g. the boat actually was on that dive...

You also could (I think, never tried, lack of reason) switch it on, close the lid, go diving and when you happen to come across that Spanish armada gold carrying wreck everyone else missed, you can attach it to a reel line, let it pop up, wait 5 minutes to be reasonably sure it found it's position and then you might re-find your treasure when you com back at midnight.... or some such use...

The Nautilus 2 does not have the radio communications feature. I got that.

What other features mentioned above does it not have?

Hahaha~ I like the idea, although I'm not sure how much left to explore around the places I dive (I'm a vanilla diver and I have no problem admitting that :D)

How would it work for divers who are not Americans? i.e. who should I register it with? I mostly dive in Asia Pacific region btw

Thanks.

I assume each country has SAR department to register your PLB1 to? For example Indonesia SAR department is BaSARnas (Badan Search And Rescue Nasional).

I googled for Singapore got this: Singapore - Search and Rescue Contacts

Another consideration: I just got back from a month of diving in four locations in Indonesia. At only one of them were there any VHF radios....so Nautilus LL Gen 1 or 2 is no help. They used cell phones to talk to each other.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips.

Also, probably gonna get a PLB instead of Nautilus.

I got one of these for $200 after rebate.
View attachment 429151

Then, for diving deeper than 50 feet, I put it in an old camera case that I bought from eBay for $10. It is now good down to 130 feet (40m).
View attachment 429152

It is registered to NOOA with complete of my emergency contact.
View attachment 429153

I'm planning to be on a 13-day liveaboard diving in Indonesia next month. I hope I won't get lost at sea, but if I do, hopefully this little guy will alert NOOA to contact US Embassy in Jakarta & they will ask BaSARnas with nearby US Navy ship to come & look for me.

I just made a quick dip test of the 40m rated old Sony camera case to 45m. No problema. I’ve logged over 100 dives with this rig. It keeps the PLB1 dry. :D

DE3C0374-7AB6-440E-8B9C-C3EC6ED62DB2.jpeg

I recently went on a liveaboard (Palau Aggressor II) where the boat issued the new Nautilus Lifeline (without Radio) or what it’s now called Marine Rescue GPS (MRG), to everyone that would like to rent one for free. The advantage of MRG is half the size of the old Nautilus Lifeline, much simpler to operate & the battery is good for 5 year without recharging. It may no longer have the radio, but the MRG’s MMSI is logged to the diver who is carrying it. So within 30 minutes after launching it, the boat DSC will receive your distress signal, knows who you are and where you are. After 30 minutes, DSC will be sent to all ships.

793EBE52-5D39-4550-A681-F2F1CC92BF5C.jpeg

However if you have your personal MRG, then you need to reprogram your MMSI according to the procedure for the country you are diving at that time, as described, below, and coordinate with your liveaboard DSC prior to going diving with them, which is a bit of a pain in the rear.
2F0ACE85-373B-483B-9DB3-A0D7C48ABC2C.jpeg

6521F251-EDD3-4E7F-828C-1A05B7154C00.jpeg

Since it’s a rent-free & pretty small device (about the size of my fist) I was gladly accepted it, signed the liability term, and stuffed it in my BCD pocket, next to my PLB1. I figured the more safety stuff I have with me, the less worry I’d be about getting lost at sea after reading about the fierce currents in Peleliu Express & Blue Corner.

On the other hand, if I had to spend $200+, to reprogram it every time I go somewhere outside USA and to coordinate with the boat DSC, forget it. I’ll stick with my PLB1.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom