Nautilus Lifeline Radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Apparently this device has been discontinued. I was going to buy one last year until I stopped diving. I see some of them for sale on eBay, as well as the manufacturer from time to time sells refurbished ones. So if I were to buy one, is it still usable? It looks like you have to apply for an MMSI number. It looks like that may now be impossible. But basically where would I be at if I bought one? Would it still work as a radio and GPS locator beacon? Or does it essentially become completely worthless without this MMSI number? Or can you actually still get an MMSI if you happen to get one of the older models?

Edit - I was able to apply for an MMSI and get one online. But clearly they are meant for vessels, not divers. So now I'm curious what would happen if I tied it to one of these devices and used in a legitimate emergency. I did read that the locator beacon definitely does not work without the MMSI.

Last edited:
Yes, the old device has been discontinued. The new one is just a VHF radio.

The old one would still work as a VHF radio with an internal GPS without an MMSI. The MMSI allows the VHF automated emergency distress call to work.

What would happen if you used one (with an MMSI) to call for help in a legitimate emergency? The boats would show up, you’d get rescued, and later some knob might yell at you for having a non-vessel MMSI.

I’m pretty sure I’d get over that...

Huth-
The mfr had explicit instructions on their web site for how to best complete an MMSI application for a "zero length" boat and use it with the original Nautilus. That should still work. The MMSI number is needed for the DSC system to work and if you put one in creatively or use someone else's...that could delay a rescue, as the SAR folks try to confirm the distress call and a wrong number takes them to someone else who says there's no problem.
The good news is that US authorities in general are quite forgiving about "use any means to save life" and the FCC even expressly allows several types of licensees to use ANY radio, including ones they are not licensed to use, if it is the only available radio and there is a true emergency. (Missing your kid's big recital is not an emergency, it is an inconvenience.) Likewise, the USCG is more concerned with finding you than with "Dude, where's your boat?".
New, unsold, or unused ones do turn up. It is a nice concept, but the "o-ring-ish" seal makes me wonder, how long will this last. And the new ones are literally about half the size.

Do you think there are features in Gen 1 that are not in Gen 2 that makes a Gen 1 worth the added cost? The Gen 2 is half the price, and I can get one locally. As far as I can tell, the Gen 2 does not have 2 way radio, and is a beacon only. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I think you need the Mmsi number before you can use the DSC on the original version.

Randomly I have both models here, my girl friend came back from a trip with the new one. It is half the size in all dimensions and much, much handier. It only has three buttons, no voice.

I like the voice feature on my (original) one, being able to call the boat and ask them how long they will be is reassuring. On the other hand, the smaller size might mean it the new one gets take out more.

Great feedback everyone. I just pulled the trigger and bought a gen 1 off ebay. Its an unused one that is the same price as it would have cost from the manufacturer. I've already signed up and gotten an MMSI using the instructions on the manufacturers page. I agree that I love the fact that I'll be able to communicate with my dive boat. Even if its a bit more bulky, I think I can live with that. If I change my mind, I can always resell it later.

The new one appears to be a PLB "only". Nice to find a depth-resistant PLB, not at all a bad price for one. If I'm reading it right, this will trigger a formal SAR response through the global satellite network so it should be effective. The downside being that it will not alert local boaters (who might be within sight) and that whoever left you in the water, is going to be in some trouble as the formal enquiry comes with the response. (Personally I'd say they earned that one.)

The VHF might be worthwhile if you've just drifted a couple of hundred yards, and want to hail your boat and just let them know where you are. Instead of using an SMB or other means. Especially if no one is looking your way. And then of course, the VHF/DSC is a good way to get local help IF there are local boaters using VHF.

The original requires USB charging (open the main seal, open a rubber plug, try not to lose it) every so often, especially if it is being used. The 2nd-gen uses a five year (emergency only, replace after use) battery, like all PLBs. Very convenient not to have to worry about battery charging.

So it depends on how/where you want to use it. In some parts of the world, you could carry two of these, leave #2 with someone on the boat, use the VHF side if they don't have radios. In some places, a SAR response can mean hours longer than a local boater--but at least the SAR system is global, sooner or later.

They are both VHF AIS/DSC, not satellite based, but local VHF ship receiver based.

"Your GPS position accurate to 1.5 metres and a man overboard distress message will be broadcast to all AIS equipped ships up to 34 miles away as well as a special DSC message to the marine radio on your own vessel."

So no global SAR.

Thanks, I didn't understand that from their web page. Well, AIS should work, assuming there's shipping (which will mainly be commercial vessels) using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom