Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you mis understood. The office could hear our Nautilus Lifeline very well, but the handheld could not receive back, in other words, we could not hear the office confirm our call.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I think he understood you. That seems backwards of the way it should work for a base out and portable in.

Dave, do you know if anyone has the ability to receive and decode the automated distress thing with the GPS location? I know you could read it off, but I wondered if you could use all the functions of the radio?

I think he understood you. That seems backwards of the way it should work for a base out and portable in.

Dave, do you know if anyone has the ability to receive and decode the automated distress thing with the GPS location? I know you could read it off, but I wondered if you could use all the functions of the radio?

If your marine radio has that feature when he sends the distress signal your MNSI and location shows up. My boat radio does that......

Perhaps you mis understood. The office could hear our Nautilus Lifeline very well, but the handheld could not receive back, in other words, we could not hear the office confirm our call.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

That makes sense to me. You've got a 75 foot antenna at your office to receive transmissions, the Nautilus has about a 36" antenna, that would be if you hold it above your head at arms length while you're bobbing in the water. The taller your antenna the more signals you should be able to pick up. That's why those ham radio guys all dream of someday erecting a 500 foot antenna in their back yard.

Reactions: Jax
Looks like my intuitive concept of radio reception in this case was flawed. That would probably be my third mistake this year.

Then you'd better be a fast swimmer. What makes you think any of the foreign flag freighter guys speak your language, much less monitor the radio.

Much less understand the words scuba diver. I'm halfway convinced the only english words they understand is the name of their ship and "I cannot alter course to open the CPA, we meet port to port" it's always a pleasure talking to a US flagged ship out there...

That makes sense to me. You've got a 75 foot antenna at your office to receive transmissions, the Nautilus has about a 36" antenna, that would be if you hold it above your head at arms length while you're bobbing in the water. The taller your antenna the more signals you should be able to pick up. That's why those ham radio guys all dream of someday erecting a 500 foot antenna in their back yard.

My experience has always been you can hear a tower after you lose the ability to talk back. Figure the in VHF a mobile is pushing 45-50 watts and the portable maybe 5? Not sure how that translates to marine VHF, but typical a base or mobile will push more watts out than the portable. Then again, radios are funky things and seem to do their own thing now and again.

If your marine radio has that feature when he sends the distress signal your MNSI and location shows up. My boat radio does that......

So your boat radio could receive the Nautilus and display the lat/long or something? Is that common on the marine VHFs? If I understand you, that is pretty cool.....

Which still promotes the original question: Anyone in Cozumel have radios that can do that?

My experience has always been you can hear a tower after you lose the ability to talk back. Figure the in VHF a mobile is pushing 45-50 watts and the portable maybe 5? Not sure how that translates to marine VHF, but typical a base or mobile will push more watts out than the portable.

That is what I thought would be the case. The main point is that they tested the units and can use that info to verify if their anticipated use is consistent with their emergency procedures.

Sure beats going to isolated sites under the assumption that nothing bad will ever happen.

So your boat radio could receive the Nautilus and display the lat/long or something? Is that common on the marine VHFs? If I understand you, that is pretty cool.....

Which still promotes the original question: Anyone in Cozumel have radios that can do that?

Not all radios but some of the newer ones out there......
Cozumel ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom