Nautilus Specific Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks:

Any tips specific to the Nautilus Explorer before heading on a warm water trip with them?

Thanks,
Slingshot

Nothing really specific to the Nautilus. Generally, don't over pack for a warm water trip. Take a large insulated mug for soft drinks.

Specific to the Nautilus: He will probably have his 2 young kids (at last count) on the boat with him and his wife. If you take a little something for them, you'll be a hero. New DVD's for the ship might also be welcome, especially if they were family friendly.

In case you are interested, I have:
Nautilus photo gallery
and
Nautilus trip report

Sure is a nice looking ship and a pleasure to dive from too:
Nautilus-at-anchor.JPG

Have a great time and please write a trip report
Bruce

By "a little something for them" do you mean like taking a little tylenol or maybe some ear plugs (kidding! really!). Wow, that must be a neat way to grow up, seeing the world, or at least some of the nicer wetter portions thereof. I don't have kids, and really no concept of what a kid wants, so I may be out of luck. How old are they?

Okay Diveborg: I've taken a look at your gallery (nice). I gather the kids are pretty young... do they go down to Mexico with the ship? I don't think they use the skiff in Mexico.

slingshot:
I gather the kids are pretty young... do they go down to Mexico with the ship?
I don't really know. My guess would be yes. They are under school age, so that wouldn't be a reason for them to stay in Vancouver, and the boat is down there for a good chunk of the year. I have to think that Mike and his wife don't want to be apart that long.

A friend has been a volunteer DM on the Nautilus, so I'll ask her if she has any ideas.

slingshot:
I don't think they use the skiff in Mexico.
I think you are right. That skiff does go fast. You could water ski behind it. I wouldn't want to ride on it wearing a wet wetsuit. You would freeze your *** off. It is OK to ride on the skiff wearing a drysuit.

I was on the NE in August 2001 and they only had the one child at that time, Emily if I recall correctly. At that time she was crawling, but walking along furniture. So if you picked up a gift for a 4 to 6 year old for her you'd be fine. On their website there's a picture of a little boy named Charlie. He looks to be the toddler age.....2ish.

I don't have any warm water NE tips. I did the Port Hardy trip. Which reminds me, I need to put that on my repeat trip list.

Thanks for the posts folks:

Mike's kids are 3 (boy) and 5 (girl) if I recall correctly. They are not presently aboard, while the Nautilus Explorer is in Baja. I returned from a trip with them (Sea of Cortez) this past week, and am working on a trip report (text is done, trying to put together some photos). I'll keep y'all posted...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom