Navigation course ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
This may need to go in a different place, but I have a question. I am helping develop a Dive area in a state park lake. One of my priorities at this point is placing platforms and a navigation course. Here is my question. From an instructors standpoint, is there a problem with having a platform at 2 of the points of the navigation course? The reason I am asking is simple. I am trying to keep the number of buoys down in that area (boats are welcome if there are no dive flags present in the area). Here is a basic idea of what I had in mind, but it will be in a different location than shown in the picture.
refuge_2.jpg What are your thoughts on the platforms being on the course? The buoyancy course will be near but not on the nav.

Do you need buoys on the navigation course? Maybe one marking its start, but the rest can be solely underwater, no? I think having students doing navigation go through areas where other groups can be using or going to or from the platforms can be messy at times.

Good point. Should I have something to mark the nav points underwater? The only purpose for the buoys on the nav was so an instructor on the surface can monitor the students progress.

Depending on course intent, distances, visibility, etc., large way-points can be too easy.

I was thinking about using a smal buoy to mark it on the surface that is anchored to a small concrete anchor with small diameter line (like the size of finger spool line). I may use one platform and have the rest just open. Viz gets up to maybe 30' at best and the platform is only 6'x6'. I will prob put the other platform a ways away from the course.

What is your typical viz?

so couple of thoughts.

Buoys do three important things.
One, they allow people to visualize from the surface where different objects are under the surface. For a nav course it allows the students to practice shooting bearings.
Two, for open water type classes, it allows instructors to kick out on the surface and have students practice a controlled descent to the platforms. Important for their first few descents.
Three, allows for controlled ascents for scenarios like OW instances above, or for divers that have to make an ascent in the middle of said course for whatever reason.

Buoys should be large enough that boats are well aware because there may be divers congregated at them and if you have a class scenario there is a risk that too many markers will be very difficult to manage.

Map below is where we train. You can blow it up to a bigger size. Here is our navigation course for our open water students.
Entry 2 -> south platform
south platform -> bus
bus -> plane
plane -> VW
VW -> north platform
north platform -> where that 306 bearing crosses the blue line which is a contour line
follow that contour line back to the VW
VW -> entry 2

Now, this is for our brand new open water divers, this is their Dive #3 and #4. All compass navigation except for the south platform to the bus, and the contour line coming back to the VW. Lots of compass navigation, all based on waypoints. You need waypoints because these divers have no idea how far they're actually going because it is difficult to gauge and count kick cycles etc. You can use waypoints as simple as old motorcycles or cars you can get on the cheap etc and have one platform for teaching, if it's busy put the second one in. It should be cheaper to get a small car or 4wheeler that doesn't work and sink it for waypoints. Gives the students something to look forward to at the end of the waypoints.

divesite_1241_3100.jpg

boats are welcome if there are no dive flags present in the area

How is that going to work? Will all divers - including students and instructors - be expected to have dive flags with them?

Don't mean to derail the thread... but sounds like a recipe for disaster either way.

The way the area works was a compromise(in order to get it passed by the state). If a dive flag is present anywhere in the 10 acre area then boats are prohibited. The way I do it (head of the volunteer divers that do the work, additions and maintenance) is I put a flag on the dock that is the entry area. I will also (sometimes) put out a float type flag.

I may may go with having one platform on the nav course and have the other one off a ways from one of the points but not on one.

Back
Top Bottom