Navy may sink carrier Forrestal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone mentioned earlier, the forrestal still has classified aspects so it must go deep, it won't be a sinkex (sinking exercise) where they use it as a target in really deep water. Bill

archman:
This classified business might be nothing more than a cop-out by DoD penny pinchers looking for the cheapest possible disposal option.

It's hull design should have already been "automatically declassified" unless it's listed as TS or under MR. It's been 25 years since the hull was laid and of course the design documents of the hull preceed that date.

Of course follow on designs of other Nimitiz class hulls are based on this and that of course could all change that.

Tx_Jeff:
That would be sweet if Texas got the next one. :partytime:
I'll vote to sink her in Texas waters ....... how about next to the Flower Gardens ..... that would make a great trip ........ do the carrier and them move the boat for some coral reef diving .....

Is this the same Forrestal that had a tragic fire in the mid-1960s?

USS Forest Fire or the USS Zippo. Navy folks can be so cruel.

webhead:
USS Forest Fire or the USS Zippo. Navy folks can be so cruel.
Black humour... some people engage in it as a way to cope. Others with no connection to an incident use it to be 'cool'. Civilians rarely understand.

abitton:
Hey! We don't even OWN aircraft carriers...

How 'bout sharing one with up here in the Great White North?

I vote for Lake Ontario.

It'll stay in great shape for a LONG time. Promise!!

:wink:

Alex

I would definately second that notion ;-)

I can't imagine what would still be classified on a 50+ year carrier that hasn't even been in service in over 10 years.

That being said, I do not want to se her sunk. I was hoping she would be set up as a floating museum where I could walk her decks one more time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom