Navy may sink carrier Forrestal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, they wouldn't want to show the Russians or Chinamen 50 year old designs...I remember watching helicopter unreps of crates of 500 pound bombs from the USS Haleakala AE25 to the Forrestal (we called her the Forest Fire) because the seas were too rough to sling the high lines...it was "interesting" to see the helicopters dance in and out of all the antennas and wires with the deck bouncing up and down about 10-15 feet with each wave. That was the time the wives of the Forrestal silors refused to let their men go to sea on her since she was in such bad condition (1974.)

About the only thing that might be gleaned from her would be some hull details as I doubt any confidential items (maybe steam catapults?) would be left on board.

Mike

If Enterprise ever gets deco'd (2014 /sigh.. at least that gets me the time I need to get trained properly) and sunk I'll hire myself as a tour guide. I know that ship like the back of my hand.

I'd showcase the spaces/voids we fermented a bunch of home made wine.

The brig - yes, I spent some time there. :wink:

The starboard missile deck - where I caught a H.U.G.E. shark (less than 2' long :wink: ) while anchored off the coast of the Phillipines.

The elevator where I tried to throw a gym-bag with a monkey inside it from the pier. The bag fell in and the poor monkey drown. :(

My own personal shower stall I was able to keep for myself because I pissed in it all the time.

The cage to the Special Weapons area where some Marine busted my jaw with the butt end of a pump action shotgun for 'crossing the orange tape'. Didn't help at all I was a mouthy punk. Maybe that sign about 'prosecute with extreme prejudice' is still there. (Kinda reminds me of the Grim Reaper signs)

How cool would that be, to visit all these places again, only this time underwater?

mikerault:
Yep, they wouldn't want to show the Russians or Chinamen 50 year old designs...

About the only thing that might be gleaned from her would be some hull details as I doubt any confidential items (maybe steam catapults?) would be left on board.

Well the hull design must be uner MR (manual review) or it would have been automatically already de-classified (since it's been 25 years). This class of carriers was what was the forerunner for our current super-carriers, so there definately are some characteristics that would be sensitive. however, with modern computational fluid dynamics modeling that's available today, surely a more efficient designed hull has superceeded this design.

If the catapults were sensitive in design, they can be removed.

Most any other item could be more easily removed also. The only other "large item" besides the hull that would be an issue would be the screws, which were classified at one time on most boats of this class, but they too can be removed. (that's why when a carrier or sub is in dry dock, you typically see the screws covered with tarps and under constant survellience).

tstonedvr:
Due to the size (twice the "O") and being somewhat taller she will need around 300ft in depth to clear the limit, unless they whack a lotta island off. That would put her well offshore in many areas.
Yarg

Not in Puget Sound. We'll take it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom