Navy SEAL training with dual hose regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liberato

Reaction score
I was watching the dive training segment of one of those SEAL documentaries on Discovery or the Military Channel and I was struck by the dual hose regulators they were using.

Note, these weren't rebreathers, they were the basic regualtors they started with in their initial pool work.

Why do they use dual hose regulators which most people associate with the obsolete Sea Hunt era of diving. These were obviously modern versions but what is the advantage of the design for military diving? Who manufactures them?

liberato:
I was watching the dive training segment of one of those SEAL documentaries on Discovery or the Military Channel and I was struck by the dual hose regulators they were using.

Note, these weren't rebreathers, they were the basic regualtors they started with in their initial pool work.

Why do they use dual hose regulators which most people associate with the obsolete Sea Hunt era of diving. These were obviously modern versions but what is the advantage of the design for military diving? Who manufactures them?

i'M NOT SURE WHAT SHOW YOU WERE WATCHING, BUT THE ONLY DOUBLE HOSE SYSTEM THEY USE NOW IS ON THEIR REBREATHERS. DOUBLE HOSE SCUBA REGULATORS WENT OUT DECADES AGO IN THE NAVY. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THERE ARE NONE THAT ARE APPROVED FOR NAVY USE

liberato:

Why do they use dual hose regulators which most people associate with the obsolete Sea Hunt era of diving. These were obviously modern versions but what is the
advantage of the design for military diving? Who manufactures them?

As Navy Seal diving progresses they learn to use rebreathers which all use the double hoses. This keeps them from having to transition or retrain to the double hose system.
These systems are either fully closed or semi-closed systems that eliminate the bubbles which can be seen and heard by the enemy.

I have watched the whole thing about 3 times now and I love it every time, alot of motivation! Now that the question has been answered I just wanted to pose another. Is there anyone that has been through BUDS on Scubaboard, and if there is, is the show toned down for viewers, I know it must be, but by how much?

The US Navy uses the US Divers/ Aqualung Mentor. The design is recent (relatively speaking) and is based on the DA Aquamaster.

From an in water procedures standpoint, it makes a pretty effective but simple and relatively inexpensive rebreather simulator.

tainosoldier:
I have watched the whole thing about 3 times now and I love it every time, alot of motivation! Now that the question has been answered I just wanted to pose another. Is there anyone that has been through BUDS on Scubaboard, and if there is, is the show toned down for viewers, I know it must be, but by how much?
As a CDQC, CDDSC, CDMT graduate I cannot speak for the crazies on that side of the rock. BUT since the courses are the same as far as the diving is concerned (as with BUDS at SFCDQC they have all service instructors Army, Navy, and AF) I watched the show once and it WAS indeed very toned down, if I remember corectly they let one Nav LT retest the one man slam like six times. In CDQC you get two tries if you do not commit a major safety violation, and I do not remember if they showed the Drown Proofing where they tie your hands and feet and throw youo in the 10.5' pool. BUT indeed it was toned down. I remember the first time I taught Pre SCUBA and had to tone it down from being a total freak. It was only like two weeks back from CDQC and I was rested and EVIL hehe. The hardest part is doing the tasks AFTER you get your ACE handed to you on the pool deck for 30 minutes. first 5 hrs per day is a smoke fest for 30 minutes then 30 min of tasks in the pool. This is after 2 hrs of PT every morning. sub 6min miles, then calastetics for 1.5 hrs. Then as dive week starts it get easier. We used Open circuit twin 80's with Conshelf 14's (it is a lot of fun to do push-ups and squats with 116lbs on your back) and I am sure BUDS uses the same equipment as that is what the NAVY has authorized for use. The old School double hose OC rig is antiquated and no longer in use. We then tranistioned to LAR V Dreager CC rig it was an easy learn and man what a great dive on 100% O2 no fatigue no bubbles so the critters are cool with you being around. A nurse shark swam right between me and my dive buddy and we were haulin ACE. we had done 3000M in 62 minutes

tainosoldier:
in other words yes a HUGE amount

Another great one to catch is the one on the Air Force ParaRescue training (Rescue Warriors on National Geographic channel). Though they didn't do any SCUBA training on the episode I saw (that probably comes later in the 2 year program; they only showed the first few weeks of the screening and hazing in the selection process) they did a lot of water work and there was a huge washout rate. Brutal!

As a final humiliation to the dropouts they have to pickup an air horn, blow it, and announce to the class that they quit before they are sent packing. I love the ironic twists where the ones you think will make it turn out to have some fatal flaw in their character or determination.

There are 4 episodes in rotation with another 2 in post-production I heard. Worth catching...

liberato:
Another great one to catch is the one on the Air Force ParaRescue training (Rescue Warriors on National Geographic channel). Though they didn't do any SCUBA training on the episode I saw (that probably comes later in the 2 year program; they only showed the first few weeks of the screening and hazing in the selection process) they did a lot of water work and there was a huge washout rate. Brutal!

As a final humiliation to the dropouts they have to pickup an air horn, blow it, and announce to the class that they quit before they are sent packing. I love the ironic twists where the ones you think will make it turn out to have some fatal flaw in their character or determination.

There are 4 episodes in rotation with another 2 in post-production I heard. Worth catching...
We had an air horn but our Bn commander made us take it away as it is humiliating. Kinder, gentler Army. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom