NC shark teeth diving tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info, Lee. The river dive sounds fun. We have a lot of deep black water rivers in NC too. Have you heard of anyone diving those for teeth? Have you ever heard of why they find them in the cooper river? Generally how deep are those river dives?
thanks, again.

The dives are generally 30 feet deep. The fossilized teeth in Charleston SC are found in the Hawthorn and Chandler Bridge layers of the earths crust. These are the layers that were on the surface when the pre-historic animals were alive. These layers are now mostly buried. The rivers are constantly wearing away the side walls of the river. The teeth are exposed and then fall to the bottom.

Fossil collecting is an addictive hobby

I dive in Venice Fla. loocking for Sharks teeth and the dive shop there suggests using apple cider vinager to soak your teeth in.

Apple Cider Vinegar leaves a smell that many find weird. I use White Vinegar and it works well.

I look forward to diving the Cooper some day. I need to hook up with some locals to do it right.

My "best" day out of Venice Beach was 708 teeth on a single dive (two small megs). My best Meg haul was 8 off of the Aristakat and I also found a mammoth spit tooth.

Back
Top Bottom