NC wrecks for new OW divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelsaint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for an opportunity to bring some new OW divers down to NC as well of some who are advanced OW to do some wreck diving. What wrecks would you recommend for these new OW divers? I'm not sure how close the Gulf stream run towards NC, but I wanted them to have a great experience including good visibility. Any suggestions? What about Recommended dive operations?

I've had good experiences with Outer Banks Diving and the Flying Fish out of Hatteras, as well as the Olympus Dive Center out of Moorehead/Beaufort.

I don't know about taking newbies out there. They tend to run to wrecks such as the Aeolus, Shurz, Spar, U-352 and Dixie Arrow. They're relatively deep. I'm going from memory here, but he deck of the Aeolus is around 70-75 feet...the U-352 is 112 feet to the sand, and it doesn't have much of a profile...the Shurz is around 90-95 feet...the Spar is 60 feet to the upper structure, but the deck is around 70-75 feet.

Any of the off shore wrecks tend to be solid, in terms of vis, but current can be an issue.

It's awesome diving. Just make sure your newbies are solid newbies.

What part of NC?

Out of Morehead City and Beaufort, the Inrda is a popular wreck for newer divers.

Recently dove Olympus, first class op, in my opinion. Would not recommend as optimal conditions for new divers, most dives are deep with current, inland had less viz. We had a couple of newbies with us, partnered/overseen by experienced divers and everyone had great dives. Would not recommend going with insta buddy, DM for hire might be a good choice in that case.

Donna

What part of NC?

Out of Morehead City and Beaufort, the Inrda is a popular wreck for newer divers.

I just took my daughter and new son in law (as of later today) out to the Indra on Thursday morning. It was his first ocean boat dive. I got in right behind them and did 50 minutes on the bottom. That was my first dive of the season on the Indra and it was a great dive. It is surely the most under rated dive out of Morehead, I think because it is always the default inshore dive if the weather is rough.

That would be my suggestion as a good first NC wreck dive.

I would agree that the "Indra" would be a good choice.
If I remember, it's about 75' to the sand. It's a really big
wreck and still intact. If memory serves me, it's a Navy LST.
Depending on your air consumption, most people can make it
all the way around - depending on current. It get's pretty
surgy there sometimes. Gets pretty strong around the door
and window openings. It's not a very long boat ride from
Beaufort or Atlantic Beach. It's not in the Gulf waters so viz
isn't as good. Average for the dives that I've done on it probably
ranged from 25' - 50'.
Operations - Diverdown, Discovery, Olympus, Atlantis IV - they are
all good.

I just took my daughter and new son in law (as of later today) out to the Indra on Thursday morning. It was his first ocean boat dive. I got in right behind them and did 50 minutes on the bottom. That was my first dive of the season on the Indra and it was a great dive. It is surely the most under rated dive out of Morehead, I think because it is always the default inshore dive if the weather is rough.

That would be my suggestion as a good first NC wreck dive.

Did you find the any octopus? There was about a 2' across one down on the bottom back by the deckhouse wreckage last week.

Congrats on the new son in law.

Wilmington has the Hyde, Markham, and the tugs (Stone and Pocahontas) which are all fun dives that are good for new divers, especially the Hyde. There's also the Liberty Ship, but the others are better. You can read up on the area wrecks here.

Aquatic Safaris and Cape Fear Dive Center both run great charter boats.

My son and I are hoping to get a trip next Sunday (Oct 11) to the Hyde & Markham. We are leaving from surfcity NC. 910-329-9912. Never been but the water temp is still 75-80 degrees and visablity is 30-40 feet so it should be fun.

I am looking for an opportunity to bring some new OW divers down to NC as well of some who are advanced OW to do some wreck diving. What wrecks would you recommend for these new OW divers? I'm not sure how close the Gulf stream run towards NC, but I wanted them to have a great experience including good visibility. Any suggestions? What about Recommended dive operations?

If you have enough for a 6 pack Capt James (above) runs a nice operation with a great young DM, good choice for an op if you do not have a big crowd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom