near drowning due to regulator failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
Glad you're OK!

Not sure what they mean by "Send or away for further testing".

Sounds curious to me, I'll be interested to know if there is a charge for this testing...

Since this was your first dive after it being serviced, my bet is that the diaphram slipped out of place.

You'll probably never know the real cause. Something stuck under the exhaust flapper valve would cause a similar problem, and would magically fix itself once when whatever it was is dislodged.

A diaphram improperly installed could start off as a slight leak, and then be sucked out of place by a strong inhale. Opening up the reg to check it, or even just your purging it might work it back into place.

ShakaZulu:
Don't know what caused your problem, but I had no problems with my regs till I had them serviced? Does these guys not know what they are doing or are we supposed to live or die with their crap service?

Hey dude, where you been? Nice to see you again.

It's a big assumption that the tek did something wrong. It could have been as simple as a little bit of debris in the exhaust valve.

It *could* have been a mistake on the part of the tek, but it's not a given.

R..

barbara:
It was hard to breathe because my air way was spasming a bit.

this happened to me once. it's a very unpleasant and disconcerting feeling:
you just can't breathe, no matter how hard you try

luckily, it didn't last too long, and i was able to start breathing again in,
i would say, about 30 seconds. it sure felt much longer than that

way to keep cool and keep things from degenerating

In setting up your reg, did you try to draw off of it while the air was shut off? This step will usually detect any diaphragm or exhaust valve issues.

dherbman:
In setting up your reg, did you try to draw off of it while the air was shut off? This step will usually detect any diaphragm or exhaust valve issues.

This is a good idea but do you do this?

R..

Diver0001:
Hey dude, where you been? Nice to see you again.

It's a big assumption that the tek did something wrong. It could have been as simple as a little bit of debris in the exhaust valve.

It *could* have been a mistake on the part of the tek, but it's not a given.

R..

I've actually had to do some work, and it interfered with my social time on SB........haha. I had to do a dive, using my octo this weekend cause it was freeflowing and I could not stop it by closing the adjustment setting. Just been serviced, nice.

Back
Top Bottom