near drowning due to regulator failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you had your LDS check it out yet, barbara, and if so, what did they say?

First of all we're all very happy that you did not suffer any injury. It is exceedingly difficult to face any kind of problem underwater when you have just exhaled. We are all very proud to know someone who is coolheaded enough to deal effectively with this sort of failure.

From what you describe it is either a ripped 2nd stage diaphragm or a malfunctioning exhaust valve, I suspect the latter. The after-the-fact freeflow is either a symptom of a torn 2nd stage diaphragm, or more likely a result of your death-grip on the purge button (I know that I'd have bent the entire housing<G>).

after you have your regs. serviced, do a check out dive in the pool....

Thanks for all of your advice. It was all very enlightening. Actually, I have been diving for about 15 years now and have never had any difficulty with my breathing apparatus before. I have had a few nervous moments ie: where's the boat? rising too fast. Where is the exit to the cavern? I really thought for a moment for the first time using scuba, that my luck had run out. First there was such a feeling of surprise. Why was my regulator, which had always faithfully provided me with air, doing this to me? Then a flash of fear and adrenelin surge as I began gasping. Then the sole thought of, must get to surface as soon as possible. The fact that I was in shallow water was a great comfort, knowing that I might be choking but I would make it to the surface where I could work it out in an open air environment. If I had been deeper, like below 30 feet, I do believe I would have begun to panick enough to race to the surface too fast or spat out my regulator and draw in even more water. That feeling when your airway closes is just too terrible to endure for very long without panick when you are at the surface let alone submerged underwater without immediate access to air around you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom