Near miss at 90 foot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even at 15ft, he could have seen the OP pulling out his knife and trying to bang on the tank to get his attention.

And the assumptions just keep coming...

And the assumptions just keep coming...

OK then, let's play your little game.

What would YOU have done if you're buddy blew his safety stop? Would you have gone with him in case something was wrong? Would you have stayed at your safety stop but still kept an eye on him to make sure he was allright in case he needed your help or was trying to get your attention? Or would you stay at 15ft, looking at water, gauges, fish etc... until you were done?

Really, I would like to know.

There's times (which is usually) in Lake Erie where you can't see the boat from 15' let alone your buddy.

It would depend on who I was diving with as to what I would do, but I'd probably surface to see what the problem was as before the dive I always stress to my buddy (buddies) when & where I'm stopping & expect them to stop with me, we usually agree to that beforehand. (cept for my SOB, we usually solo together)

If I knew there was something wrong, I definitely would come up. If there didn't appear to be anything wrong, and I *knew* he had made a slow and controlled ascent, I'd probably make my stop and monitor him from there. Of course, just because you're trying to look up doesn't mean you have crystal clear viz and can see every small movement he makes.

I say "probably" because there are so many variables that can only be judged at the time. What are surface conditions, a calm lake or 4' seas? Are there others in the group on a boat or the shore, or are you the only two for miles. Is this a buddy you don't know if often dives like this or is it a frequent buddy you know is anal about making stops, in which case blowing one would indicate a major issue.

As for surfacing after dives, my batting average is the same.

After re-reading the OP, it was the BUDDY who called the dive, only because of air, because the BUDDY had the foresight to notice that he wasn't reading his gauges. I didn't read where the diver signaled he had an issue at ALL, in fact, he was 'happy' from Narcosis.
There was NO indication of an emergency until the buddy surfaced after doing his stop. Buddy was probably wondering why he'd blown it, but without any indication of trouble, how are they to know?
Granted we could spend days on the Buddy Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, but what happened to Stop, Think, Breathe?

Ok, I guess I need to clarify the assent. My buddy called the dive due to the saturation level on my computer. We were diving a rock quarry where the viz on a good day is 15 feet. I assended up an alge covered wall, literally climbing up with my hands, screwing the viz to maybe 1-3 feet. He closed in on the wall to find me, but i was assending a little faster than he was and he never found me. I never signaled any problem at all, even if i had he would not have seen it. Due to the narcosis or hypoxia or what ever it was I was not thinking clearly enough to think about anything other than not shooting the surface. I didn't look up during the assent, this would have killed the "it's only a fue more feet" idea i was trying to convince myself of. when i reached the surface I sat on a ledge about 2 feet deep just enought to have my sholders out of the water. I know my buddy was still down, because i saw his bubbles maybe 8-10 feet away. From my assent up the wall, the viz on the surface was maybe a foot.

The Stop, Think, Breath, was literally the only thing going through my mind. I knew I was in trouble, but knoew if i shot the surface I would be in even bigger trouble !

Hope this clarifys a fue things...

Thanks for all the info and advise,
Tim

(nerves=on gassing fast).

(working harder=on gassing faster)

(working harder= Still on gassing)

So what tables do you use for dives like these?

Well, the new information changes the side discussion a bit on what the buddy "should" have done. Now it becomes a matter of whether to make or skip your safety stop in the lost buddy drill. And we know how divisive that issue can be so may I suggest we all just search the numerous past discussions here rather than rehash it all?

I think the real problem was the fact that the "experienced" buddy didn't follow the plan and should have been aware of the OP's level of experience.

IMO, the problems were the attitudes of both divers. The OP did a fairly decent job in pointing out his faults in letting his ego get away with him. I think the "experienced" buddy needs to learn a few things as part of this incident (from what has been described by the OP).
Everything else are just symptoms.

Just my $0.02. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom