Near Panic in WPB @ 85FSW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last Thursday we were diving in West Palm Beach. The current was very strong (probably in the 4-5 kts range) we were at a depth of about 85-90 FSW drifting along the reef at high speed... This drift was actually so fast, that looking straight down almost gave me vertigo because of the ground rush. I was being pulled by the flag (Florida law that a dive flag is towed), since the surface current was even faster than the bottom current. Several times I would have to hook off to a rock, and let the rest of the group catch up, since I was going so much faster than everyone else with me on this dive (5 other people).

30 Minutes into this ride; I saw a large fish (a mutton snapper - a good sized one - probably 22-24 inches long) and was fairly close to it (for one of these typically skiddish fish) so I took a shot at it. (Yes I had my speargun, and please don't reply with anti-spearfishing responses... I do what I do) - anyway... My spear got stuck in the ground; and I have a line gun. :(

At this point, I am being pulled in 1 direction by my gun's line and shaft firmly stuck in the ground, and the flag is pulling me in the other direction, and I am being pulled so hard in both directions, it is almost painful.

I can't make any backward progress toward my spear to free it, and the flag is pulling so hard, it's actually pulling me up as well as away from the spear. Looking at my computer log I went from 84feet to 66 feet in 1 minute (yep - I was holding on that long) just from the force of the flag. I wasn't thinking clearly at this point, and my only thought was to get my almost $800 Daryl Wong speargun safely back to the surface. I could feel the onset of panic and my breathing was seriously increased at this point. (also according to my computer) My breathing rate went from .4 CFM to well over 2.5 (the limit on the scale). After trying to calm down and think rationally, which was SO HARD TO DO; it finally clicked in my head... LET GO OF THE FLAG!

DUH!

I let go of the flag after almost 2 whole minutes of being strung up. I was almost physically exhausted at this point, and I couldn't even pull myself back to free my spear shaft at this point.

Luckily one of my buddies was at this point; crawling - pulling - hand over hand - along the bottom (on ROCK - not on live reef) to free my spear shaft, which took another minute or more. I was breathing so hard still - trying to catch my breath from the exertion, and I finally looked at my gauges to see 350 psi and still at about 70 FSW.

I signaled for my buddy {wife} (with long hose) that I was OOA (low but not out) and we air shared and made a safe ascent. I inflated my SMB when we hit about 20 Feet, and the boat picked us up, and we retrieved the flag about 1/4 mile past us.

Lesson Learned: Since I always carry an SMB (safety sausage) I should have realized sooner that letting go of the flag would have obviously been a smarter choice from the get go (well... not taking the shot would have been the smartest - but that was moot). Had I released the flag right away; I wouldn't have tired myself out, and breathed down almost a third of my tank in a 3 minute period.

It was so difficult to think straight when the onset of panic occurs. I really had to think hard to come up with the simple solution to this particular problem. So Panic CAN happen, and "Stop, Think, Act" is truly a good way to break out of the panic cycle.

The boat captain wasn't upset that I let go of the flag, since I did have an SMB, and we informed the captain right away upon being picked up.

Howard, I think you did well. Next time, you'll think about your options a little earlier. Was it not possible to use the hook? Could you cut your line to the shaft? I realize it's not likely you could have gotten to the line, but it's a possibility. If push comes to shove, abandon the gun, but letting go of the flag was by far the best option if you couldn't use the hook.

Wow, I'm glad everything worked out!

As I was reading this I was thinking.. let go of the flag! But I may have done the same thing in the same situation, it's hard to think clearly when things start to go wrong at depth.

It's always amazing to read stories from experienced divers about the things that can go wrong UW. It makes me realize that I'm certainly not infallible.

This should teach us all a lesson that task loading, even for experienced divers, can make things difficult.

So I'm not that familiar with line guns (or any spear gun). It's not possible to release the line? I assume you could have cut it, but I would understand that holding a flag, and the gun, and reaching for a knife would be a bit impossible.

Glad you are safe.

One of the things that we've gone through in the training scenarios for my Rec Triox class has been recognizing when a situation has become hazardous enough that you should just bite the bullet and jettison equipment (eg. a reel). I think it's a very hard decision to make, especially when said equipment is expensive -- It's not the first thing you think of to solve the problem. Glad you sorted through your options and found one that worked.

Walter:
Howard, I think you did well. Next time, you'll think about your options a little earlier. Was it not possible to use the hook? Could you cut your line to the shaft? I realize it's not likely you could have gotten to the line, but it's a possibility. If push comes to shove, abandon the gun, but letting go of the flag was by far the best option if you couldn't use the hook.
I didn't think of my options really because I couldn't think straight at first.

I couldn't use the hook, becuase the flag was pulling so hard, it pulled me up and I couldn't swim down; because the current was pulling so hard, and I was anchored to the ground with the gun line. I had over 100 feet of line on the reel, and it was at the end of the reel, and I was only at around 85 FSW.
(Puffer Fish saw the whole thing - but was too far away to swim to me. Joyce was close enough to come help and also saw the whole thing. I guess I looked like I was doing the Iron Cross maneuver on an angle)

I could have cut my line to the shaft and just gotten a new shaft and line for the gun (but this would also have required me to free one of my hands - and I would have had to release the flag anyway), but when I finally had a moment of clarity, and value... I figured that a $35 reel was cheaper than a 55" spear shaft, and the line; and most certainly cheaper than a custom Daryl Wong speargun.

In the end... I didn't lose anything :D

HowardE:
In the end... I didn't lose anything :D

Whoa! Glad it worked out for you Howard. Thanks for sharing.:)

Sounds like an interesting experience. One we all can learn from. Thanks for sharing.

HowardE:
30 Minutes into this ride; I saw a large fish (a mutton snapper - a good sized one - probably 22-24 inches long) and was fairly close to it (for one of these typically skiddish fish) so I took a shot at it. (Yes I had my speargun, and please don't reply with anti-spearfishing responses... I do what I do) - anyway... My spear got stuck in the ground; and I have a line gun. :(

At this point, I am being pulled in 1 direction by my gun's line and shaft firmly stuck in the ground, and the flag is pulling me in the other direction, and I am being pulled so hard in both directions, it is almost painful.

I'm glad you pulled out of it and I'm glad you posted this. I hope many read this who have also read that "spear fishing with scuba is no challenge". Riiiiiiight.....Things can turn ugly real fast, just as you experienced. It could also have been a big fish pulling you along and you'd have had to make a fast decision. TAKE NOTE, all who want to try spearfishing on scuba. It's a whole "nuther level of diving.
(if you'd have lost your Wong it would have sucked big time. :D )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom