Near Tragedy at Spanish Rocks today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's really rather scary

I don't like the idea that they seem to think they are the only ones on the water, I do however like the idea that everyone should carry a powerhead maybe a few holes under the boat would make them think about the rules.

I had a boat with twin screws go right over the top of me out there. I was on my way back in 9' of water as saw both props go right over me. My rule is, when I hear props I hug the bottom.

The driver of the boat had the nerve to blame me stating my regulation dive flag was not big enough. It's ashame brains are not a requirement for driving a boat. I was probably less than 100 yds from shore. Swimmers are sometimes out that far and they do not even have dive flags.

I have experienced this same thing and use the same rule at Venice Beach. 3 Passes over me without taking my flag. After surfacing I watched this same vessel circling other flags in front of the public beach. Second pass he took one flag then left.

I've oft times thought that an old water mine with a dive flag on it would provide entertainment. Seriously, you have to get pretty close to one to set them off and I have had some very close calls. Just the conditioning associated with "red flag with stripe means boom" would definitely spread around the boaters community.. divers would be safer! :D

Actually, Venice has a marine unit that has a ZERO tolerance towards ignorant boaters and does write tickets to boaters for traveling at anything other than idle speed within 300' of a dive flag off the beach. We've just got to encourage them to be out more on weekends.

Hey, for Ana Maria Island, what are the avg. depths? I'm thinking of driving north with my wife for a dive there sometime to join yawl.

Colin, the depth @ Spanish rocks & the sugar barge is b/w 17-25 feet

Next time you plan on going out, call the sheriff's office and see if they might station a boat around. They have a couple of boats and some very good officers manning them.

The Manatee County Sheriff’s Office
Anna Maria Unit
(941) 708-8899

Never thought of that. Great idea :)

Being a boater and a diver, it all comes down to visibility. If you are in a boat traffic area, the bigger your float/flag, the better. Out here in the West, the rivers are quite busy with boat traffic. Boaters don't expect a dive flag in the middle of the channel or waterway. On the inland lakes and waterways, a dive flag is so uncommon, that most boaters don't know what they mean.

During my OW dives last weekend, We had a boater drive up to the beach (we were shore diving), and go by our buoy flag by about 10'. I went up and told him what the flag meant...he had no idea. I guess maybe he thought it was a mooring buoy or something. Anyway, he said he would give it a wide berth and did.

Mostly comes down to education of what the flag means.

Perhaps circulate flyers with a pic of the flag and the local statute/maritime law to it, and the penalty at the marina, etc. Education can't hurt.

OK Keith.... Good idea, good intentions. :blinking:

But what pissess us of is that this is FLORIDA... Divers are EVERYWHERE.
How do you drive a boat in Florida and not know what the flag means???

Personally, I'm going for the idea of dive flag mines!!!! I'm with ya CBulla!!

Just tow 2 dive flags connected by a 100 yards of black poly rope. It's hard to see, floats on the surface, and will twist up in prop faster than poo through a goose! If they get tangled up, obviously they were within the 300' limit.:D

Just tow 2 dive flags connected by a 100 yards of black poly rope. It's hard to see, floats on the surface, and will twist up in prop faster than poo through a goose! It they get tangled up, obviously they were within the 300' limit.:D

Now thars an idea!:eyebrow:

I think its too easy to be able to drive a boat, I am all for requiring licenses for boats. Too many people just get behind the wheel and never know any of the rules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom