Need a buddy for this weekend, 10/10, 10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I've shared my experience at Monastery with others freely, I want people to take it (Monastery) seriously, it's no joke. Maybe someone else can learn from my inexperience, CHOMP is a great hospital, but if I can keep just one person from winding up there, it is all worth it.
I also wanted to share with everyone another thing that I have learned as a result, which is to live your life. Don't find yourself wishing you had spent more time with your family, or done the things you really wanted to do and then find yourself in the spot where you don't think you'll ever be able to do them again. The dialysis keeps me from doing one of the things I enjoy, travel, but there is so much in life to appreciate, your friends, your family, the sunshine on your face, the wind in your hair. When I was in the hospital my son said to me, he was 9, Mommy, please don't die, there is so much more we haven't done!
Well, now I'm doing it! Live your life!
Do I blame Monastery? No, I blame my inexperience. I will never put myself in that position again.

Kristina.
That is exactly the right way to look at it all, I was in the same situation that you went through, I was crushed in A car wreck, Not suppose to live, Then will live but never walk again and have other permanent disabilities, Well they were wrong , I wasn't staying down and Got out of that wheel chair despite there orders and have continued on with life!!!

So my Congrats to you!!

Kristina-Best of luck with finding a transplant..I know it can sometimes be a long wait?
Everyone should register with the CA donor program!

Like I said, much respect and well wishes in your return to optimum health!!

Drew

Jim, have you ever thought about helping the disabled to be able to SCUBA? If you ever do, consider me a free helper.

I have read of a program or group that has helped returned service personnel with injuries take up scuba diving.

I have seen that there is something called "adaptive scuba"
When I was recovering from my accident I was thinking about taking it. Instead I just hastened my recovery and started off slow. I also have seen on this Board a guy named Matt who, through help of some really wonderful people, has been able to fulfill a lifelong dream of diving, while on a ventilator. Crap, when I was on one, they wouldn't even let me go outside onto the deck at the hospital! Said it couldn't be done! Good for Matt that he kept pushing his dream till someone else was kind enough and smart enough to help him make that happen.
Adaptive scuba may be hard in Monterey, I can't think of any shore dive that is handicapped accessible.

Interesting thread. I recently received the following in the mail, and am thinking about doing it, since I'm going to be in Orlando for DEMA anyway. I've contributed to HSA in the past, but there's nothing like jumping in with both feet!

Bruce
-----------------------

HANDICAPPED SCUBA ASSOCIATION
Post-DEMA
Instructor/Dive Buddy Training Course
November 9-11, 2009
DEMA Booth 477

The HSA, founded in 1981, has over 28 years of experience and development. Our Instructor & Dive Buddy Training Courses are taught in over 40 countries, our trained & certified members number over 5,000 & included more than 50 Medical Doctor.

We are proud to say that over the years we have attracted some of the best & most dedicated diving professionals in the World. Please join us for our exciting 3 day training course for an experience you will never forget, and then start training & diving with people who have disabilities for some of the most rewarding experiences in diving.

Cheers Jim Gatacre

The HSA Post DEMA ITC/DBC will be conducted in Vero Beach, Florida, approximately 40 miles from Orlando. The Eastern Academy of Scuba Education will sponsor this event & can provide assistance for accommodations & scuba equipment. Please contact: Philippe Yersin at +1-321-446-0080
phil@easedivepro.com
IDC, Florida, IDC Florida, CDC in Florida. Our PADI IDC, CDC Facility include meals and accommodation. Located in South Florida

If you cannot attend the Post-DEMA ITC/DBC you can check the HSA Training Schedule located on our Website for an ITC/DBC date & location that fits your needs. Handicap Scuba Association

Below are a few scheduled ITC/DBCs.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois October 16-18, 2009
John Perhay
+1-800-469-3483
+1-630-469-3483
john@iidscuba.com
Welcome to Illinois Institute Divingin Glen Ellyn & Chicagoland, Your Full Service SCUBA Snorkeling Dive Center! Everything from Instruction, Sales to Full Service!

Key Largo, Florida October 22-24, 2009
Pam Bradley
866-539-7234
diverpam1@yahoo.com
PADI IDC Professional Scuba Instructor Development and Career Center; IDC:scuba diving, Florida keys, Key Largo, diving school, islamoraa

Plano, Texas October 23-25, 2009
Tracy Hamilton
+1-214-563-5265
tracy@adventurescuba.us
Adventure Scuba - Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear, and Scuba Training

Seattle, Washington November 20-22, 2009
Loogpla Cowden
206-399-5682
loogplacowden@att.net
Bubbles Below - The Scuba Professionals a Puget Sound Full Service Dive Center - Woodinville, WA

Phoenix, Arizona December 11-13, 2009
Captain Curt Jablin
+1-602-840-0669
scubamanaz@aol.com

Midrand, South Africa/Guinjata Mozambique January 25-28, 2010
Zelda Norden
+084 858 1025
zelda@activescuba.co.za
Active Scuba - Scuba Diving, Free Diving and Handicap Diving

Cheers,

James Gatacre
HANDICAPPED SCUBA ASSOCIATION

Sounds like you need special training though.

Adaptive scuba may be hard in Monterey, I can't think of any shore dive that is handicapped accessible.

I would think that Whaler's Cove is accessible. The entry is a boat ramp off the parking lot.

Pretty much any sand beach would be, too, with the right gear. The SoCal life guards have gurneys with sand wheels. And I've heard of wheel chairs with sand wheels.

And then there's boat diving for those so inclined.

It's all possible with the right motivation. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom