Need a good light...very picky...please help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Alright guys and gals im counting on ya. I need a new light and i am on a tight college student budget < 150$ ...

First.i want something that i can mount on my hand like a goodman handle, or light sock, something that accomplishes this decently without too much flop, and for no other reason than I think thats cool lol

Second i want a tight focused beam at least as tight as i can get for sub 150$ lol.

Third I want it to be bright :wink:...yet again best i can get for sub 150$

I will mainly be using this light for night diving, probably for my Cavern course when ever i take that....if its approved. but if not thats ok. I know this is very picky but thats what i want lol...Ive been doing a lot of looking at the Penetrator 220/ Dorcy2 but i have heard mixed reviews on it on the board , mainly my biggest problem is the goodman handle that piranha sells with it looks a little ???? any one used it? I like the oxycheq raider handle but dont know how it will fit with the Dorcy...anyone have any ideas? Also for those of u who have the Dorcy how tight is the focus? its hard to get a good idea based on the pictures i have seen and my limited knowledge of dive lights. Just for comparing though i do have a UK mini Q40 eled plus that i like so if that helps there lol.

Sorry for being so needy but i just cant seem to make up my mind and my next trip is rapidly approaching. Thanks again for all of ur help!!!

I have the Dorcy 220. Last May during a safety stop I amused myself by lighting up the bottom. I would say the bottom was about 50' below me (we dove it during the day) and since it was slightly cloudy I could see the beam pattern all the way down. It gradually tapered off to about a 25-30' circle on the sand in my estimation IIRC.

For comparison, I also have a UK SL4 Eled. The Dorcy is a lot brighter. My buddy has a C4 Eled, we both think mine is brighter than it is also - the beam patterns are different so it's harder to tell.

I don't have the handle. The lanyard is a little weak, it's a good lanyard but held on by a double looped nylon thread. That's why Piranha includes the cave line. The smallest quick-link they sell at Home Depot goes through the hole in the base nicely and now fastens it to the lanyard on mine.

Last edited:
i have a sartek 18w hid i'm looking to sell for about $200. it will need a battery. i have sent someone pics, but haven't heard back from him. if you want more details, shoot me a pm.

Get the dorcy but the handle is a bit iffy. It isn't difficult to fashion a soft goodman handle yourself.

SangP

If you're getting into Cavern and that sort of diving it might make sense to find a used Halcyon Scout (3 C-cell) or Salvo Rat and buy the LED upgrade jblomquist is selling here and on eBay. The LED is as bright as anything out there, and the light body is near bomb proof.

I built one of those upgrades myself and used a smooth reflector rather than the textured reflector the LED module comes with, which gave me less spill light and considerably better throw.

I built a DIY Goodman handle from aluminum strap from Home D and attached a Scout light. Worked very well.

Henrik

Alright guys and gals im counting on ya. I need a new light and i am on a tight college student budget < 150$ ...

First.i want something that i can mount on my hand like a goodman handle, or light sock, something that accomplishes this decently without too much flop, and for no other reason than I think thats cool lol

Second i want a tight focused beam at least as tight as i can get for sub 150$ lol.

Third I want it to be bright :wink:...yet again best i can get for sub 150$

I will mainly be using this light for night diving, probably for my Cavern course when ever i take that....if its approved. but if not thats ok. I know this is very picky but thats what i want lol...Ive been doing a lot of looking at the Penetrator 220/ Dorcy2 but i have heard mixed reviews on it on the board , mainly my biggest problem is the goodman handle that piranha sells with it looks a little ???? any one used it? I like the oxycheq raider handle but dont know how it will fit with the Dorcy...anyone have any ideas? Also for those of u who have the Dorcy how tight is the focus? its hard to get a good idea based on the pictures i have seen and my limited knowledge of dive lights. Just for comparing though i do have a UK mini Q40 eled plus that i like so if that helps there lol.

Sorry for being so needy but i just cant seem to make up my mind and my next trip is rapidly approaching. Thanks again for all of ur help!!!
I have 3 Dorcy's and both Oxycheq goodman socks. Both work but the bigger one is easier to slide the light into.

Adam

I have 3 Dorcy's and both Oxycheq goodman socks. Both work but the bigger one is easier to slide the light into.

Adam

I really like the way the oxycheq lightsocks look which one would u say holds the light most securely?

The penerator 220 from piranha is a nice light. It's 50.00 220 lumen, has a nice tight beam

The penerator 220 from piranha is a nice light. It's 50.00 220 lumen, has a nice tight beam

I have the Penetrator 220. The penetrator 220 is a Dorcey Dive II. It is a nice bright compact light. The beam is a more yellow than I have seen on other LED lights of similiar power. The beam is tight. Really no need for a handle.

Make sure you keep the threads lubricated and remove the batteries after diving. A leaking battery in this light pressurizes the body making the head removal difficult and the head a propelled projectile.

The Penetrator 220 is a descent light at night, but if you can go $150 there are brighter options. Princeton Tech Mini Wave might be a good choice.

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-163-41-0467-220-lumen-dive-ii.aspx#

Last edited:
I really like the way the oxycheq lightsocks look which one would u say holds the light most securely?

Of course the smaller sock ( I don't remember which number it is) will hold more securely. But I think the larger one makes a better fit. It seems the light has to be forced into the smaller sock.

If you're worried about the light slipping out it's easy to tie a little line from the back of the light to the bungee strap of the sock. I doubt the light will slip out but the tie will provide peace of mind.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom