Need a good night dive light - Sub $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For two years I used an Ikelite PCa as a primary night dive light. :11:, yeah I know. It was very bright but a little lacking in 'horsepower'. So, now I have a Pelican Nemo 8C. It's better, but still not great. Of course compared to the Ikelite it's a searchlight, but still. I figure my next stop will be either a 10w or a 21w HID can light. :D

I have a Streamlight 4AA. It has 7 LEDs and I paid about $30 for it. Class 1, Division 1, meaning its passed some safety tests to back up vendor claims. Top choice of Public Safety professionals. http://streamlight.com/led_propoly.htm

I am just a user, but like the idea of good stuff that lasts a while.

It isn't sold as a divelight, but its waterproof.

I wanted something multi-purpose for tactical use.

Also, wanted something I could easily use with rechargeable NiMh batteries and not worry about bulk in a suitcase. a charger for C cell batteries is too big for travel.

I prefer LEDs cause they last, but not as bright as xenon or HID as of yet., possibly never. But LEDs continue to improve and the combination of very good color enhancing light and low power use makes them more attractive all the time.

I don't fully grasp why an environmentally conscious sport is so into using disposable batteries ? You find toxic used batteries in every trash can and elsewhere close to a dive shop or site.

Why aren't there more rechargeable models in the world ?

BlueDolphin:
Please post your picks for a night dive light. I'd like to see if there are good performers in the sub $200 range. If not.... I may be swayable to pop for more.

I need a good dive light that I can use for night diving.

Thanks

Jonnythan...

You still are not reading the posts correctly. The UK Light Canon 100 has a very real reputation of going through bulbs. This has nothing to do with its behavior similarities to an HID cannister light. Yes they are both HID lights. Apparently the bulb used in the Light Canon IS found in other cannister lights or is retrofitted without issue.

The UK Light Canon 100 bulb failure is not due to a missunderstanding by the user. It is because the UK Light Canon is poorly designed. Lets not compare the UK Light Canon 100 to an HID cannister light. That is perhaps the point of confusion. The only similarity is that they are both HID.

Once again, my comment is that the UK Light Canon 100 has a long reputation for failure. Due to the number of failures rampant on the net, and from hearing from others who owned the light, and have had failures, it is MFO that the light has no business being sold. Many have remarked that the housing/design is too fragile and the bulb is constantly at risk of damage, and often needs bulb replacement far too frequently. I have heard some who were not even able to get a free replacement bulb after failure, and actually paid their $79 for replacement after only one or two uses.

Once again, I am NOT referring to an HID light cannister.

Sorry that you find my posts condescending. I actually found yours leaning that way. Read your above posts. I just wanted to drop/stop confusion with the UK Light Canon 100 and/vs. a cannister light, as my comments were NOT directed to any HID light cannister. Nor were the problems I mentioned pointed at HID type lights in general (Only the Light Canon 100).

Lets move along..... and get back on topic. Please do list your fav pick for a dive light under $200 (which you have not done as of yet).
Thanks.

Beansed, that looks like it might make a good backup light. Has a pretty long run time shown. Note the UK c8 eled and the Canon both can be retrofit with a rechargeable battery pack ($99 add on). I agree, there really is no reason to continue with disposables. At least manufacturers seem to be going in that direction. Thanks to all the hobbiests out there who have been toying with, building and using rechargeable battery packs for many years! :)

As much as i hate to agree with jonnythan :wink: but from my understanding it is the same bulb as used in the halcyon proteus 10w lighthead. There have been several reports on other boards(specifically the yahoo HID board) of people using them as a cheaper alternative than buying through halcyon and is reportedly the same bulb. I have no idea what bulb terkel lights and some of the others are using and am no way defending the light cannon as i have personally never used one and probably never will as i prefer a nice 10w or 18w cannister light.

BlueDolphin:
Jonnythan...

You still are not reading the posts correctly. The UK Light Canon 100 has a very real reputation of going through bulbs. This has nothing to do with its behavior similarities to an HID cannister light. Yes they are both HID lights. NO the bulb is not the same as used in a bunch of other lights. It is only the same type (an HID bulb).

My Terkel 10W HID canister has been using the same bulb as the UKLC when I had to replace it last year. Seems to be working just fine.

Even better... this would substantiate many of the stories regarding the UK Light Canon. The bulb lasts just fine in other housings..... namely some other cannister lights. I could build a cannister light to use the bulb.

Guys.... I just want to lay this to rest .... The UK Light Canon is the problem..... and has a long reputation for failing. As you have found the bulb works in other housings without failing. It is not the bulb, but rather the design of the UK Light Canon. Thanks.

BlueDolphin:
Jonnythan...

Once again, my comment is that the UK Light Canon 100 has a long reputation for failure. Due to the number of failures rampant on the net, and from hearing from others who owned the light, and have had failures, it is MFO that the light has no business being sold. Many have remarked that the housing/design is too fragile and the bulb is constantly at risk of damage, and often needs bulb replacement far too frequently. I have heard some who were not even able to get a free replacement bulb after failure, and actually paid their $79 for replacement after only one or two uses.

That's all it is, your opinion. I think it's a great light for the price and I have had good success with it up to this point. I think it *SHOULD* be on the market so I can buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It is my opinion that anyone looking for a primary dive light under $200 should seriously consider the UKLC.

agreed, i don't know anyone with one that bad mouths it....thats quite a few of us in here with absolutely no prolems with it..obviously bluedolphin doesn't like it, i think we've all gotten that message, but i still think its te best light in that price range..

I went with UK due to its quality and warranty service. I also got mne from Scubatoys so that mine has a double coverage by both UK and Scubatoys, IMHO.

I have never owned the light. I just took time to research the light before reaching my conclusion that the light is a sham. If you do some searching (only a few hundred members here so go outside this forum), you will see the problems associated with the UK Light Canon. Its not really JUST my opinion as you will find.

Anyway.... I wish the stories weren't so. It was actually a light that I considered a year or so ago.

Back
Top Bottom