Need a good night dive light - Sub $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin:
If you do some searching (only a few hundred members here so go outside this forum), you will see the problems associated with the UK Light Canon....
From the Stats on the Index page:
Members: 37,118

Could you provide some links? The only problems I've had with my Light Cannon were due to flooding. The flooding was caused by my own stupidity, and UK replaced the ballast and bulb without charge.....

BlueDolphin:
I have never owned the light. I just took time to research the light before reaching my conclusion that the light is a sham. If you do some searching (only a few hundred members here so go outside this forum), you will see the problems associated with the UK Light Canon. Its not really JUST my opinion as you will find.

Anyway.... I wish the stories weren't so. It was actually a light that I considered a year or so ago.

I started a poll to see what others think of the light. If you want to vote, see this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86744

Hopefully we see what the general consensus is on the light.

Mike

Its a mute point guys/gals. The light sucks. :krach: Go out n look on the net. :banghead:

I should have noted "active" members. Lets move along here, nothing to see here folks. I already made my decision. And it was not the UK Light Canon (I'd spend the money for a cannister light first).

Thanks.

BlueDolphin: what do you believe is intrinsic to the design of the Light Cannon that causes all these failures?

Hello Jonnythan...

I do appreciate your opposition on this. It may not always seem that way.

The most common failures seem to come from the housing not having enough shock resistance from what I read. The light was found to be extremely fragile. The bulbs were being damaged or failed frequently. Some folks were even being charged for the replacement bulbs (although I am sure if they had any salt, and spent far too much of their time, they could have had the bulbs replaced for free). This along with some other problems as noted in this thread.

I'd love the light to be a good value. I just hate products that have an obvious record of problems, and continue to be sold on the market.

Be careful now....... you guys may cause me to reconsider. Don't make me do that. Please.

***** PLEASE note the very first post on your POLL that you started. *****

Warren L's response is a bit connected to this thread in response, and is assuming that all HID lights share this flaw (just not so).

The C8 and LC appear to be constructed very similarly. I dropped my C8 once and the bulb broke. Answer? Don't drop the thing. In fact don't smack it on anything.

I haven't smacked my canister light head on anything yet, and I don't plan to. Maybe the fact that I spent several times the asking price for a Light Cannon makes me more careful.

If your issue is with "shock resistance," please don't go spend $900 on a Helios, cause I promise it doesn't have any more than the Light Cannon.

Like I said before, the issue is with people treating the thing like a cheap halogen. HIDs demand more respect, whether they're Light Cannons or canister lights. I'll put good money down that when treated with equal respect, a Light Cannon is as reliable (ha ha) as a quality HID canister light.

I am confident that everyone did not go around "smacking" their Light Canon on things.

The light just has a reputation for needing bulb replacement. Often.

I think that perhaps you feel that everyone who has had a problem with their UK Light Canon 100 was somehow an idiot, or not quite the brain pan level of a Jonnythan. I assure you that this is not the case.

This issue is not from people treating the thing like a cheap halogen. It is from people who purchased the light, and found it to fall short of what a dive light should be expected to do.

jonnythan:
If your issue is with "shock resistance," please don't go spend $900 on a Helios, cause I promise it doesn't have any more than the Light Cannon.

Like I said before, the issue is with people treating the thing like a cheap halogen. HIDs demand more respect, whether they're Light Cannons or canister lights. I'll put good money down that when treated with equal respect, a Light Cannon is as reliable (ha ha) as a quality HID canister light.

Like you Jonnythan, I'm currently using a Terkel 10w, which has served me well. But I don't see how the Terkel could have more shock resistance than the LC given the bulb is held in a rigid housing.

Warren_L:
Like you Jonnythan, I'm currently using a Terkel 10w, which has served me well. But I don't see how the Terkel could have more shock resistance than the LC given the bulb is held in a rigid housing.
That's precisely my point. Blue's only argument appears to be that people break their LC bulbs because of lack of shock resistance...

Warren, do you think we'd see fewer Light Cannon broken bulbs if people spent as much on the LC as you did on your Terkel? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom