Need a great Poseidon tuner in S.Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, why i went to Apeks. predive/dive, permanently warped diaphragms........and I knew that, but somehow mine got warped anyway.

Verses, my buddy who stored a set of Apeks in his garage for over 5 years, uncleaned from last dive, pulled them out, breathed fine! Try that with an Odin.

Ok.. thats just silly... any reg stored in bad conditions for 5 years can become compramised. Rubber hoses and diaphragms on apex 2nds can easily get fubarred. And storing after salt water with no cleaning., that’s just asking for it, no matter what your brand. I have a set of Poseidon’s. That that are still breathing great and holding perfect IP after well over 10yrs since last service. I am NOT recommending this, just saying that I don’t buy the assertion that the Poseidon design is somehow inferior and more prone to failure from your “garage” example.

It would be nearly impossible to isolate all possible variables and determine the relative risk without multiple tests in same conditions.

A diaphragm stored in "-" position
20181029_131739.jpg
That subtle tilt makes tuning really twitchy.

So I got them tuned nice and everything seemed perfect. I then put my ear to one and heard a slight freeflow (actually a leak I believe)... I removed the guts and tightened it all the way down to ensure the servo finger wasn't touching the diaphram and still hissing very lightly. I assumed it was the condom so I replaced it and it's still leaking... Valve stem seems good. Only issue I noticed was the little rubber plug under the tightening screw was chewed up but I don't believe that would cause a leak. Is there any way to diagnose a leak in the servo? Or any other ideas? The hiss gets slightly quieter in the pre dive setting. @Caveeagle @tbone1004

I would remove the 2nd stage diaphragm and cover, so that the servo valve is visible. Leave everything else together. Pressurize it and hold it underwater and you can see if any bubbles are getting past the servo valve.

The guy from airtech that teaches the class has a cut up 2nd stage housing made into a tool for exactly this purpose.

Having said that... when in doubt.. I would replace the servo valve. Poseidon does not recommend any repair for the actual valve, but If you take it apart you will find a tiny wafer seal inside. I have seen a very old one that sort of fell apart on me.

I would remove the 2nd stage diaphragm and cover, so that the servo valve is visible. Leave everything else together. Pressurize it and hold it underwater and you can see if any bubbles are getting past the servo valve.

The guy from airtech that teaches the class has a cut up 2nd stage housing made into a tool for exactly this purpose.

Having said that... when in doubt.. I would replace the servo valve. Poseidon does not recommend any repair for the actual valve, but If you take it apart you will find a tiny wafer seal inside. I have seen a very old one that sort of fell apart on me.

Ahhh good idea. Will do thanks @Caveeagle

Ya, do what I did, sell them on ebay, buy Apeks and be done with them!

Lol... sure... many people do that. Nothing wrong with Apeks regs. Some of us have snapped up Uber cheap deals on poseidon regs.

I am sure that either tbone1004 or I would. Be happy to give those regs a nice home.

Just remember, both the Odin/Jetstream and Cyklon are proven designs that have been at the top of the reg performance game for decades. There are now many options that perform “as well”, but none are significantly better on the whole.

Back
Top Bottom