Need a little help fine tuning my bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe somebody here can offer some insight:

I've just switched to a BP/Wings setup (DiveRite Transplate with Venture Wings. I typically dive a PST100 tank and wear a 3mm jumpsuit. I've been working on fine-tuning my bouyancy, but for the life of me, I can't seem to execute a Buddha-style hover without tipping to my right side or backward. :11: I'm guessing it has something to do with my tank position, but I'm not sure how to correct it.

For the record, with the above setup, I use no additional weight. I've got an M22 Abyss on a 7 ft hose, with my octo around my neck.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. My horizontal bouyancy is pretty good, I can do the typical upside down, inverted roll, etc., but I just can't seem to make the sitting posture work for me. It's irritating!

Thanks in advance,
Grier

That would be all your weight being on your back, when you get over a certain point (centre of gravity behind your centre of buoyancy) you tip over - its a mechanics/physics thing. Even though the wing is behind you, for that tiny amount of weight its not going to have much effect on your COB, whereas your displaced volume of your body is making you floaty on that side, the tank is more dense and so your forces are out of whack. I am guessing this is for your DM training or such? You could always do those pool sessions in a jacket BC if you like. :wink:

Not many suggestions to fix this except to try to contort your body a bit to move you COB/COG around a bit or wear more weight towards your front, but if you are good on weight then thats not going to help. The other option might be a lighter tank for pool and shallow OW stuff such as an AL80 which would give you less torque to pull you back compared to the E7-100.

I think you're right about using a lighter tank, Simon. That's what I'm leaning toward. And as you guessed, the problem doesn't exist with my jacket-style BC. I was just wondering if possibly shifting my tank up or some other trick might solve the problem.

Not that it's a big problem, but it did come up during my DM sessions, and I've been playing with it ever since.

Thanks for the comments,
Grier

I love doing such things and rolling back to lying on my back due to heavy tanks - such a joy :wink: Personally i dont do much of the buddha thing except for class like stuff or just goofing off. BTW - any sign of you coming down this weekend or are you trapped in NC?

1. What you are asking about has to do with positional stability... not buoyancy.
2. You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't necessarily exist.

Uncle Pug, please elaborate. Is there any way to maintain vertical stability in a back-heavy BC? I'm just trying to use my BP/W to do the exercises that I need to perform for my IDC. Maybe I just need to use the jacket-style BP for those.

And Simon, no - I'll have to miss this weekend. Had a work problem that is still ongoing and will continue through the weekend. I hate it! I was really looking forward to diving with you guys. Think about me while you're diving that clear water!

-Grier

It isn't necessary that this problem should exist... the buddha position isn't necessary IRL... but if it is important for your IDC then an simple solution would be to use a jacket style BC.

Uncle Pug:
It isn't necessary that this problem should exist... the buddha position isn't necessary IRL... but if it is important for your IDC then an simple solution would be to use a jacket style BC.
I agree with Uncle Pug (except I don't know the meaning of IRL) Don't get too impressed with the buddha position--better to teach new divers to be horizontal and in control. The buddha thing needs to disappear IMO.

I agree about the Buddha position. I haven't used it in my first 4 years/150 dives, and think that the time is better spent working on improving horizontal trim.

Thanks for the feedback,
Grier

Back
Top Bottom