Need a new primary handheld light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy all...

Haven't bought a new light in just about forever. I'm looking for a new handheld primary light for taking along on day dives to check out crevices or to use on swim-throughs. I would also like it to be suitable for using on a night dive. I will be using it in tropical locales with good vis. Maybe keep the budget to around $100-200. I would like it to be pushbutton for one-handed operation. Rechargeable is preferred.

What might your recommendations be? Been looking at Big Blue, DGX & Oceanquest.

Thanks for your help!

We have 3 DGX 600s and an 800. No issues whatsoever in 4 years and the batteries keep lasting longer. We easily get a full hour per charge and my last dive was almost 75 minutes on the charge. Ours are the twist on. They are plenty bright for night diving and small enough to not be clutter on Day dives.

If I were the change anything, it might be to have more of a flood beam...but that is my only issue and a minor one at that. Great lights, great prices.

Good luck,
Jay

I like my Orcatorch lights.
The D530 is really affordable and very bright for its size.
ORCATORCH D530 A Must-*have* Primary Dive Light for Divers

If you don't want such a tight beam, the D550 works well:
OrcaTorch D550 Small and Lightweight Tail Magnetic Switch Dive Light

My favourite, carry-along-on-every-dive light is the D560. Tiny, AA or 14500 battery and really nice for peeking into crevices etc, or as a backup night dive ligh. I have had mine for about 3 years now, gone on probably 500 dives, never had a moment's hassle:
OrcaTorch D560 A Mini Diving Dive Light with only 9 cm Length

The last while I have been playing with the D570GL, combination laser and light. Really nice for pointing out stuff to buddies, attracting attention and also playing with clownfish like they're cats:
OrcaTorch D570 2-in-1 Laser Dive Light for Recreational Diving and Commercial Diving

I just bought an Xtar D26 1600... Extremely bright with 4 different settings and NO stupid blinking setting to scroll through. Basically 4 levels of brightness and at the highest setting it is supposed to last for almost 2 1/2 hrs! I have not dived it yet but will in a couple weeks when I travel to Tahiti. Runs on a 26650 battery. Compact. Extremely well made. Lights up my back yard like never before. Paid $68 on eBay.

We have 3 DGX 600s and an 800. No issues whatsoever in 4 years and the batteries keep lasting longer. We easily get a full hour per charge and my last dive was almost 75 minutes on the charge. Ours are the twist on. They are plenty bright for night diving and small enough to not be clutter on Day dives.

If I were the change anything, it might be to have more of a flood beam...but that is my only issue and a minor one at that. Great lights, great prices.
Good luck,
Jay

2ND this. I have a DGX 600 (push button) and it works brilliantly. Add a soft goodman handle and it is perfect for what you are asking for.

DGX Soft Handmount | Dive Gear Express®

I like my Orcatorch lights.
The D530 is really affordable and very bright for its size.
ORCATORCH D530 A Must-*have* Primary Dive Light for Divers

If you don't want such a tight beam, the D550 works well:
OrcaTorch D550 Small and Lightweight Tail Magnetic Switch Dive Light

My favourite, carry-along-on-every-dive light is the D560. Tiny, AA or 14500 battery and really nice for peeking into crevices etc, or as a backup night dive ligh. I have had mine for about 3 years now, gone on probably 500 dives, never had a moment's hassle:
OrcaTorch D560 A Mini Diving Dive Light with only 9 cm Length

The last while I have been playing with the D570GL, combination laser and light. Really nice for pointing out stuff to buddies, attracting attention and also playing with clownfish like they're cats:
OrcaTorch D570 2-in-1 Laser Dive Light for Recreational Diving and Commercial Diving

I have the Orcatorth D550 and am in love. It's only seen 1 night dive so far, sadly, but it was bright, cut through the Washington silt, and could be seen very clearly when I had to signal trouble to my buddies. It lasted a good hour and the wrist mount it comes with is nice and secure.

Yeah the Orcatorch soft goodman handle is a delight. Their fixed version on the D620 is also one of the nicest ones I’ve used.

Please take a look at our selection of lights.

This light is perfect for looking in holes in the day and is more than enough for night diving:
M1000DL-2T.jpg

https://www.makospearguns.com/1000-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/m1000dl.htm

This light is much smaller and if you purchase it with the rechargeable battery option, it is incredibly bright and about as large as your thumb. This will also work fine for looking at holes in the day. If you are planning on doing night dives, then you should have 2 lights and this second one would be perfect as a back up.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Mini-630-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/mm630dl.htm

mini-630-dive-light-14500-battery-charger.jpg

If you order both, you will get free shipping (for all orders over $100) and you will be within your budget. We are offer lanyards, and a wrist mount as well.

Thanks

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom