Need actual location in Venice, Fl for shark teeth hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok did my first shore dive for shark teeth at the alhambra site.

visibility ranged from 15 feet to 6 inches at times...yikes.

we started out westward from the culverts and didn't stop until we were in 18-20 feet ....very muddy...the silt was about 3 inches thick..

we didn't surface at 1500psi, but based on when we did come up with 500psi, I'd say we were 1/4 to 1/2 mile away...rather than 100 yards.

on the way back in ...in the last five minutes of the dive we started finding teeth, a bit bigger than what I've found on shore...they were every where. This is where we came back up.

My best guess of distance is about 100 yards, or a few yards west of the sandbar you get to after entering the water.

Next time we'll start there and plant ourselves.

max depth for the dive was 21' and time down was 94 minutes.

Is there a better site that might bare (spelling?) megladon teeth?

Has anyone found a megladon tooth at the alhambra site?

it was gorgeous day either way.. I didn't think that coral grew on the west coast...saw some scattered soft coral....some stone crabs and some other crabs that liked my finger.

we initially used colendars (spelling?) , but once we started finding teeth, we didn't use them anymore...they just appeared to us.

Can we expect that same kind of thing with the big teeth, or do they need to be dug up?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

I've found a meg tooth at the alhambra site (2 1/2") and a fake that was six inches. They were both lying right on the surface, and impossible to miss (I've never used a colendar or anything, and have over 1000 teeth now). I know that Walter has found at least some pieces of meg teeth. Also found some nice Mako and several snaggletooths. I usually find 13'-18' the best, in the rubble fields and around the saragossa. After you hit the sand bar, you'll hit the first rubble field and saragossa (13'-15' about 50 kicks out). Good hunting there. If you continue out to around 18' theres more rubble and the hunting there is decent. I ususally spend my time in the 13'-15' range.

Sunday the vis was about 3'.

If you look SW from the alhambra site, you'll usually see some boats about 1 mile out flying dive flags. That's a place called the boneyard. I haven't been out there yet, but it's close enough to be tempting :). A kayak would be able to reach it nicely. (although it sounds like you were coming close :D).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom