Need advice about becoming a Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option is becoming an Army Diver. They go through the same training program and are involved in construction diving. Though mainly an active duty MOS, there are two Dive detachments that I know of in the National Guard. One is in the Texas Army National Guard in Corpus Christi. I'm not sure where the other one is.

I started my diving career by entering the Navy as a diver (diving officer) and later became a commercial saturation diver, instructor, diving supervisor, diving superintendent and now am a diving project consultant for big oil (retiring this year).

Your questions don't lend themselves to a quick answer. The military is an excellent starting point, especially if you are involved in underwater construction (Seabees), or EOD. Construction is what it's all about in the civilian sector. Special operations is a waste of time if you want to be a commercial diver. Another alternative is if you are involved in land-based welding and NDD.

Landing a good commercial diver job depends upon your tickets, experience, and your school (affiliation). Other things like being ex-Navy put you into the same ring as other ex-Navy divers who may be in the position to hire you. It can really get complicated at times. :)

As you have seen already, people who have a construction/welding background are the first ones picked. This is for a good reason, as although diving is involved, to put it in context, it really is just how we get to and from the construction site. You have to be able to work when you get there.

As you are likely aware, there has been a lull in the commercial diving sector over the past decade or so. Some of the major diving projects that are slated to commence are in other countries like India and China, for example. You will likely to require an IMCA or DCBC ticket (unrestricted air), although you may get by with an ACDE ticket.

Like most jobs, experience is key. Don't be hesitant to work on-shore for a few years to gain experience. This is often the fastest way up the ladder. When you can, move to an offshore job. If you get a mixed-gas ticket and do well, you can consider a SAT job after you have the training.

If you want to discuss matters further, send me a PM. Good luck!

I would like to take a path very similar to yours. If you dont mind, i have a few questions. What would be the best diving for me to get into to set me up for a commercial diving career after the NAVY?
Is saturation diving worth the money? and whats the fastest way to get there?
Which position during your career did you enjoy the most and what position paid the most?
Would I be better off just getting right into the field or should I join the NAVY for the exp. and school?
What additional certifications and school would be best for me to get?
What position were you qualified for immediately after the NAVY?
and would you have taken a different path knowing what u know now about the industry?

Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you everone for your feedback! its extremely helpfull. I was wondering if the degrees you can earn online while in the NAVY are really worth anything to civilian employers?

The degrees you earn while on active duty are the same degree civilians earn and are usually more valuable, that is if you earn a degree in the field you are working. Exp. and a degree are always worth more then just one or the other. I have always believed the military is the best place for a young person to get started, but then I come from a very long line of military. This is how all my children got there start in adult life.

One word of advice...Don't look for the short cut or the easy way to a diving career, it don't exist and if it did it wouldn't be worth crap.

I saw that you wanted to do construction and underwater welding. You should really look into the Underwater Construction Teams (Seabee Diver). I am not quite sure if you can get it just by enlisting though, might have to pick a Seabee rate, and then put in a package for UCT after finishing A school. Just throwing it out there since I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread. Maybe someone from UCT will chime in. I am a Seabee, but I am not a Seabee diver.

I would like to take a path very similar to yours. If you dont mind, i have a few questions. What would be the best diving for me to get into to set me up for a commercial diving career after the NAVY?
Is saturation diving worth the money? and whats the fastest way to get there?
Which position during your career did you enjoy the most and what position paid the most?
Would I be better off just getting right into the field or should I join the NAVY for the exp. and school?
What additional certifications and school would be best for me to get?
What position were you qualified for immediately after the NAVY?
and would you have taken a different path knowing what u know now about the industry?

Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry for the delayed response, but I was banned from this thread and was just reinstated :). Saturation is worth the effort, but is a difficult path. You have to have the temperament for it; it's like a space mission in-that you are isolated in another world with other people in limited space for up to four weeks.

If you have a few years Navy experience and are trained in underwater construction, you should be able to receive a unrestricted air and mixed-gas ticket. If your naval training includes saturation, great. If not you will need to receive this certification from a civilian school. I suspect that you would be able to land a job on an oil rig after the Navy. You will need some experience before being employed as a Sat diver, but a few years of oil industry experience will give you the necessary background.

When I was with the Navy I worked at DCIEM in hyperbaric/hypobaric research for many years and was involved in various Canadian, U.S. and U.K. projects. When I came out of the Navy, I had a Sat ticket and had EOD experience. I ended up starting my own on-shore commercial diving company. My experience was lacking in the area of construction, so I learned many of these skills from other divers who I hired. This paved the way for me.

I was originally hired (oil industry) by a ex-Navy Diver. Over the years in-turn I've hired many people who were Navy divers. It was a known factor; I felt that I was hiring the best talent available.

I don't think that I would have taken a different path, as I went through as a Diving Officer, I had to qualify as a Diver, but also gained management / leadership experience which stood me in good stead when they were looking for a Supervisor and later a Diving Superintendent. Today's Diver market is a tight one with many divers out of work. The Navy offers you solid employment and gives you experience. You can judge civilian employment at different stages and make the move when it's appropriate.

It's a good way to go. The discipline will teach you a no nonsense way to dive, which is greatly appreciated by the offshore industry. The Navy turns out the best divers; so your chance of employment is much better than most.

Good luck!:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom