Need advice for diving with sealions/seals in southern australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMoMo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

Since my trip to Galapagos and my first encounter with sealions during diving i cannot get enough of them and i wanna get in the water as soon as possible again with them. Due to being based out of Hong Kong it seems southern Australia would be a good choice. Do any of you have tips on which places are great to go for that and also at what time of the year? Any help would be appriciated!

How about the following locations? These are diveable at most times of the year - probably the most pleasant during the warmer months subject to wind direction.

Hopkins Island, Spencer Gulf, Soiuth Australia

https://www.rodneyfox.com.au/index.php/selectedContent/2080452565, Australian Sea Lions at Hopkins Island - a play date | Shipwrecks and Sharks or search 'Hopkins Island'

Baird Bay, Eyre Peninsula, South Australia

Baird Bay - South Australia
Baird Bay, Sea Lion and Dolphin Swim, Eyre peninsular, South Australia or search 'Baird Bay'

Thanks diver257a. I'll look into those. Did you ever dive at Kangaroo Island btw?

specifically sea lions?

if seals wet your appetite Jervis bay in NSW is also a good option. The area also has some spectacular diving other than seals as well.

diver257a: Is it worth to go there? I saw its also possible to dive with sea lions and should be possible to find leafy or weedy sea dragons. But costs for diving are pretty high. Therefor i'm wondering if its worth it.

bracko: What other things can be found at Jervis bay regularly?

Melbourne hundreds of shore dives and boat dives and
seals and dozens of dragons and dolphins and sharks if you're nice, at $55 a single dive boat trip

and another exceptionally conservative distance
of more than 20,000 miles only of mainland shoreline

diver257a: Is it worth to go there? I saw its also possible to dive with sea lions and should be possible to find leafy or weedy sea dragons. But costs for diving are pretty high. Therefor i'm wondering if its worth it.

I noticed that your shopping list has grown a bit…

KANGAROO ISLAND (aka ‘KI’ or ‘the island’ as opposed to the ‘mainland’) is a place worth visiting (& diving) if you have not been there before. It is a destination that does attract praise, e.g. please look at post #6 in the following thread - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/au...-adelaide-march-april-2010-a.html#post5510330 However, it is expensive. I have been 4 times & probably would not go again (apart from day trips to the north east coast). From a Adelaide perspective, it is easier & probably cheaper to go overseas.

LIONS/SEALS - I suggested Hopkins Island and Baird Bay in an earlier post because these sites are very reliable, i.e. near breeding colonies with sizeable populations. Sealions/Seals are very common in Australian temperate waters and are regularly seen by divers. The main colony on KI (i.e. Seal Bay) is a proclaimed conservation park where swimming & diving is prohibited. You are likely to see sealions/seals on KI, however these will probably be solitary animals.

LEAFY & WEEDY SEA DRAGONS (LSD/WSD)- while the dive operator on KI does offer dives with these fish, these can be seen at a number of sites accessible from the ‘mainland’ with relative ease - please search my posts for more info.

On the basis of your OP, I would probably suggest a trip to Baird Bay where the operator is exclusively focused on sealions/seals and then arrange 1 or 2 day’s diving with an Adelaide LDS to dive at one of the 'mainland' sites where LSDs are present. Alternatively, one of the Port Lincoln charter operators does offer swims with seals - refer http://adventurebaycharters.com.au/swim-with-sea-lions/.

Melbourne hundreds of shore dives and boat dives and
seals and dozens of dragons and dolphins and sharks if you're nice, at $55 a single dive boat trip

and another exceptionally conservative distance
of more than 20,000 miles only of mainland shoreline

Yes, I dived aT Flinders Pier to see seadragons and a seal came to see me.
616.JPG 599.JPG 600.JPG 620.JPG

Another very good place in NSW is Montague island : check the link just bellow

Last edited:
First of all thanks for all the great advice. I really appriciate it!

Air One: Montague Island sound very interesting, but it seems pretty hard to reach for a non local coming from overseas with limited amount of time.

diver257a: Ok then Kangaroo Island doesn't sound like what i'm looking for. I'm rather looking for diving at a sea lion colony and getting good interaction with hopefully several sea lions. Regarding Hopkins Island and Baird Bay. How easy are they accessible if taking into consideration that i fly in from overseas?

knowone: That sounds very interesting. Could you give me some more info like for example dive sites, dive operators and so on? :$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom