Need advice on a few dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAHEFF

Registered
Reaction score
I could use some words of wisdom on four dive sites in Cozumel. I'll be making a two day trip to Cozumel and will be diving with Scuba Du. They have scheduled dive spots for the week. Wednesday is Columbia Wall and La Francesa, Thursday is Palancar Bricks and Yucab Reef. I will be with a group novice divers and we want the best diving possible in four dives, but don't want any too advanced for a bunch of newbees. Would these dives spots be a good choice?

Tough call. IMHO, don't start with Colombia as a first Cozumel dive with a bunch of newbies; it's too advanced. Much better would be La Francesa as a first dive followed by Paradise or Chankanaab. The second day's choices would be okay if they do well on Wednesday.

jlyle:
don't start with Colombia as a first Cozumel dive with a bunch of newbies; it's too advanced.

There is Colombia Deep and Colombia Shallow

I agree if it's Colombia Deep, My 1st OW dive was Santa Rosa Wall which as I understand it is very similiar to Colombia Deep. Was not for newbie's! Make sure they've got their buoyancy control down. If the current is light you should be OK.

Most of the DMs from Scuba Du are great. Geovanni was my fave.

Oh boy, now I'm getting a bit worried. I think they have an afternoon one tank dive to Paradise Reef, maybe that would be a better choice for the first day. Thanks for the heads up.
By the way the Scuba Du web site says the Columbia wall is an 80 ft dive, would that be Columbia Deep?

Here is my two cents -

It is unlikely the dive operator will stick to a schedule like that without polling the divers when they arrive. Scuba Du is a well known operator - they will adjust the schedule to fit the experience of the divers on board.

A wall dive is not the best first dive for new divers or even experienced divers that are a little rusty from a winter of hybernation. It is very unlikely they will take you to a wall as your first dive in Cozumel.

When you get to Cozumel, there is a very cool book that has all of the dive sites mapped out in color - pull out map - kind of a 3D view. You can pick one up in one of the dive shops. Does anyone out there know the name of it. I bought it when I was there a few weeks ago but my sister made off with it. Anyway. It is a great book and a nice souveneer. It describes the various dives in great detail.

Okay - I know I said two cents and here I have give my three cents worth but it's in Canadian funds :wink:

C

The book is called "Cozumel Dive Guide & Log Book." You can get this book by contacting www.underwatereditions.com

dnhill

diverincanada:
It is unlikely the dive operator will stick to a schedule like that without polling the divers when they arrive. Scuba Du is a well known operator - they will adjust the schedule to fit the experience of the divers on board.

A wall dive is not the best first dive for new divers or even experienced divers that are a little rusty from a winter of hybernation. It is very unlikely they will take you to a wall as your first dive in Cozumel.

C

Ummm, don't be too sure... I was with Scuba Du on my first OW dive and it was Santa Rosa Wall!

Their schedule is pretty set in stone as well - unless they send out 2 boats. Doesn't hurt to try to get 'em to change it though.

Except for that first dive I have nothing but great things to say about Scuba Du. They were really good with newbie divers. The Presidente isn't too shabby either! :eyebrow:

Many of the dive operators are moving away from "diver's choice" and to a fixed schedule and Scuba Du seems to be one of these. As an instructor here, I also do not feel that Columbia is a viable options for new divers UNLESS they will take you to Columbia SHALLOWS ~ so in essence you would do 2 shallow dives that day. Other patrons on the boat might not be crazy about this but if they are splitting you into groups of 7-8 as standards call for ~ your groups could do the shallows whilst other patrons do columbia [deeper]. There are a multitude of great shallower reef dives to do with new or "not yet refreshed" divers so try to go with those first...save the walls until later.

You might suggest to your dive master that you make San Francisco Wall your first dive on the first day. It is a relatively shallow wall usually with moderate currents and IMHO is an excellent choice for a novice diver's first exposure to Cozumel wall diving. If most of the divers on your boat are in your group, I can't imagine the dive op would object. Especially since it is a lot closer to town than Columbia (= less gas and a shorter boat ride.) And it happens to be a really nice dive too.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel.html

This is the best book: "Cozumel Dive Guide & Log Book." http://www.cozumeldiveguide.com/book.php#

Check it out! You should be able to find it at your LDS and they sell it at every dive shop and resort in Cozumel. It should range from $21 to $24 and it well worth the price. It tells you what the dive is famous for and maps out the entire dive. It tells you: level of difficulty, current, formations and marine life.

I see that Cozumel Insider posted and I would take a look at that link as the website has pretty good descriptions of each dive site. Columbia Shallows is a dive that I tend to go to sleep on. It is Soooo easy- about an hour dive where you just float by everthing. Good 2nd dive after a hard dive. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/reefinfo/

Paso el Cedral (Oak Pass), La Francesa, Palancar Gardens, Paradise are my favorite dives

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom