Need advice on cell phone use in GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to be spending two or three weeks on Grand Cayman in August and would like to find the most economical way of making cell calls back to the US. (I will need to make frequent calls to check on a family member that is ill). In the past, I’ve simply used my US cell phone (Verizon/Iphone), which has subjected me to fairly significant roaming charges ($1.99/minute as I recall), but I didn’t have to use the phone very much.

What options are best? Should I rent or even buy a phone (we come to GC every year for a couple of weeks, so buying a phone that would become our “island” phone might make sense if there are not significant costs for the periods when we are not on island).

Any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated.

I own on island so I come and go frequently I bought a cell phone on island for about $50. it is a "Pay as you go" plan so you can load as much or as little as you want on it.You can reload at any Gas Station or Supermarket and the added value lasts for over a year.I think I got a "Cable and Wireless" brand but they all are the same Lime and Digicell all offer the same thing.It is an inexpensive way to stay in touch.I think the cost per minute for a stateside call is about .20 cents per minute.

The nice thing about having a cell phone with you is that someone can call you if need be .Also great for making reservations etc. on the go.

I believe they are the GSM system .You get a Sim card with the phone which can be switched to another phone if you want.It will not work with Verizon I have Verizon so I know.

Cable & Wireless rebranded and is now LIME.

I use Skype for all my Stateside calls.

This is what I've done and find it works best the past few years:

1) Bought a $50 cell phone @ CostULess (or anywhere on island), top-it-up at Lime's site https://www.etopuponline.com/lime/start or many gas stations, grocery stores, etc on island. It's pay as you go, no monthly fees. Less expensive than any US calling plans I've used over the past 27 years traveling to Cayman. When back in the states I shut it down until next trip.

AND

2) Install the Viber APP on your current cell phone, it's free, but requires WiFi http://www.viber.com/. My friends on island and I call each other, send photos and texts for FREE, works well as long as you have WiFi. Make sure the folks back home have it installed as well and have WiFi.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Another really inexpensive way to call home (especially if you already have Vonage) is to use vonage. I pre-load my vonage account with $5-10 worth of time before I go down and use that wherever there is free wireless. There is absolutely no charge to any vonage # in the U.S. and a very cheap per minute fee to a non vonage # in the U.S.. Otherwise, I use my LIME # for all local calls.

We have a Cayman cell ($50 prepaid Lime) and we use Skype. We use the Cayman cell for on-island calling and Skype to call the US. We also splurged and got an incoming Skype number, so people can call us from the states without paying overseas charges. I also know people who use Vonage and Magic Jack and are happy with those optoins.

We bought a Lime Sim Card at the airport in the shop immediately to your left as you exit the terminal into the warm Grand Cayman sun.

We found the pay as you go plan was fantastic - as long as you have an unlocked phone, you can do this as well.

Great thread with tons of good info.
I have Verizon and this is what I did last time to stay in touch with my practice:
I enabled texting only, disabling the other data hogging services on my phone and had the staff text me twice daily with updates. If they needed to speak with me they would indicate that and then I would just Skype them back at the villa. I went into Verizon and they set it up for me. To receive a text was only like 10 cents. Sending a text was alot more though but Skype is very easy to use, both video, calling, or simply instant messaging through Skype.

Install the Viber APP on your current cell phone, it's free, but requires WiFi http://www.viber.com/. My friends on island and I call each other, send photos and texts for FREE, works well as long as you have WiFi. Make sure the folks back home have it installed as well and have WiFi.

+ 1 for Viber. Works GREAT, is FUN and it's FREE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom