Need advise on Hawaii dive package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was kind of wondering about that comment myself. I've never seen it mentioned, but I haven't read every review. We see lots of divers coming over from Oahu to dive who rave about the diving here. Oahu does have some decent wrecks you won't find in Kona.

KrisB:
That's the first I've heard of that.

Most name either the Big Island (Hawaii) or Maui as the best for diving. Remember: Rodales has a reputation of being "purchased" -- send them enough free gear and/or trips and/or cash, and they'll say anything.

The only thing I've heard is the "best" about Oahu diving is the wrecks -- it has the most and the most accessible ones.

My wife and I did three days of diving with Ed Robinsons on Maui a couple of years ago. Their boats were fast and well kept, dive's were led by very knowledgable and helpful DM's. I seem to remember there were only like 10 people on a boat, and the divers were split into mulitple groups to make small dive groups. Almost all the dives were at Molokini crater-inside and outside. The crater was an awesome dive.

Most of the other boats we saw had snorkelers and divers which I have heard can make for not so great diving. They were a bit expensive, but we had a fabulous experience with them.

Additionally they had a small private cottage for rent in Kihei (near the boat dock, a plus!) for only $70 a night. www.scubamaui.com

We also dived on Oahu, and Kauai, but Maui was our favorite.

Colm

I would wonder why someone would ask for local advice then quote a travel magazine? Maui is good, Big Isle is better.

I live on Maui and dive here 2-3 times/week, and have dived Big Island many times as well. I agree with Wildcard. In general Maui is good and Big Island (Kona side) has overall the best diving in the state for many reasons: it is more volcanic so rain tends to percolate into the ground rather than runoff into the ocean, it is less developed, not as heavily impacted by people, not as overfished. As has also been stated, Oahu is best for wrecks. IMHO Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns are best boat operators on Maui. Maui Dreams Dive Co is best dive shop. Check out http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm for detailed info on Hawaiian Island dive sites.

I have been diving on every island (except for Oahu). In general, I like the Big Island best with Maui being a close second. If you go to my web site (link in my signature), I have a link for information about diving in Hawaii. I include links to several operators that I recommend and include some trip reports written by different people. Doc's trip report on the front page of the Hawaii information section is a good start.

Hawaii is a great place to vacation. Whatever you choose, I am sure you will be pleased.

Note: My site is non-commercial, I just post information that I think will be helpful and also use it to post my own pictures.

Wildcard:
I would wonder why someone would ask for local advice then quote a travel magazine? Maui is good, Big Isle is better.
:06: I first saw the article in Rodales, and then asked for local advise. Thats the beauty of this board! One can confirm or reject published advertising and information.

SwimsWithSharks:
I have been diving on every island (except for Oahu). In general, I like the Big Island best with Maui being a close second. If you go to my web site (link in my signature), I have a link for information about diving in Hawaii. I include links to several operators that I recommend and include some trip reports written by different people. Doc's trip report on the front page of the Hawaii information section is a good start.

Hawaii is a great place to vacation. Whatever you choose, I am sure you will be pleased.

Note: My site is non-commercial, I just post information that I think will be helpful and also use it to post my own pictures.
:thumb: Thanks for the advise and the link. Maybe I will dive all of the islands and form my own opinion! I live in Crested Butte, Colorado and constantly hear that one ski area is better than another. The Ski magazines, like Rodales, are influenced by the big spenders. They also tend to highly rate what the "masses" find to their liking. IMHO the best Colorado ski areas are nowhere near the Interstate!

Take "Wildcard's" advice-I've dove all the islands,and by far the BIG ISLE is DA BEST! I love Molokini too-but maybe you ought to expand your horizons and visit both places.Actually,I'm going to the Big Isle soon,so if you stay in Maui ,it will be even less crowded(as it already is)-just kidding......aloha,.....Saildiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom