Need advise on Philippines diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pconsidine007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,
Been doing a lot of research on Philippines diving and am really in need of some advise as there are so many options and its getting very confusing! :(

My wife and I will be travelling there 1st week of May and will be taking our 2 year old son and my mother in law. So we are a bit restricted in terms of travel time and won't be able to travel too far from Manila or Cebu. From a diving standpoint, we would love a place that has a mix of good muck and reef diving and good water temps and visibility. Also somewhere where there are decent resorts/beaches (but not too touristy) so our son can hang out with my mom in law during the day while we dive. From the research I've done, seems like Anilao and PG are the options from Manila but both are very macro heavy and Malapasqua and Moabol are accessible from Cebu but both are reef/pellagic heavy.

Is there any place that has good combo of both and also nice resorts/beaches but not too crowded? What about diving in Palawan?

Appreciate any advise you can give!

- PC

PC,
Just some quick input here. Dauin is supposedly the muck mecca of the Philippines. I haven't been, but you could do Moalboal and then head over to Dauin for a few days. I don't know if there's boats from Moalboal to Negros but Cebu/the region is very easy to get around.

As for Palawan, I would recommend against it unless you're really into wrecks. Coron is fantastic for that but to be honest I don't think the rest of the diving in Palawan is worth it (unless you count Tubbataha or Apo reefs, which are both reachable from Palawan).

Anilao and Puerto Galera is great for all around diving and especially for small stuff. Not a huge fan of Puerto as it attracts a somewhat shady crowd. I think mine and my girlfriend's favorite island is Malapascua (all things considered including the vibe), but then again we love the pelagics... Either way I'm sure you'll have a great stay no matter where you go, it's a splendid and underrated destination!

Mattis

Last edited:
Sabang Puerto Galera is a great place for divers and family alike. Lalaguna beach club and Scandi Divers is perfect place bec its far away from noisy and party area part of Sabang but still 10-15 minutes walking distance if want to visit during the day. You do have to take a 10 minute small boat ride from the port in sabang which cost about 10 $ for upto 4 person with luggage. And im going to Coron Palawan in March might do some wreck diving and will stay in Puerto Galera before heading back home. Verde Island is must dive place.

A diving couple + 2yrs old toddler + in-law on a diving vacation in Philippines.
AFAIK, there is ONLY one place: Puerto Galera(Sabang) as suggested by "TausogDiver".
1. All the dive sites are within 15mins from your dive operator/resort. The dive boat only go out for one dive and then return to base. Therefore U2 are no more than 90 mins away from your extended family on every dive. The special trip to Verde Island is the exception but some of the operators will let non-diver to join in for the fun. Bring a small dedicated life jacket for the boy.
2. PG is NOT macro heavy at all, a good all rounder.
3. Stay in Big La Laguna Beach as already suggested and you wouldn't even know if there is any unsavoury scene near by! La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(LBC) has a small swimming pool but Campbell's Beach Resort is more economical. The small beach is good and safe to lie down and worshiping the SUN!

My suggestion: Stay at Campbell and dive with LBC which has more than one dive boat. May is low season and U2 probably would have the whole boat to yourselves(not too good if going to Verde Island). BTW, you make your own dive schedule especially during low season!
Canyons, Hole in the Wall, Kelimar drift(on not too strong ebb current) and Horse Head(36m) just to name a few.

Have a great one.

Last edited:
Thank you, very helpful!
Is there a reason you recommend Campbells over La Laguna for the stay? Since we dive with LBC, wouldn't it be easier to stay here also?

A diving couple + 2yrs old toddler + in-law on a diving vacation in Philippines.
AFAIK, there is ONLY one place: Puerto Galera(Sabang) as suggested by "TausogDiver".
1. All the dive sites are within 15mins from your dive operator/resort. The dive boat only go out for one dive and then return to base. Therefore U2 are no more than 90 mins away from your extended family on every dive. The special trip to Verde Island is the exception but some of the operators will let non-diver to join in for the fun. Bring a small dedicated life jacket for the boy.
2. PG is NOT macro heavy at all, a good all rounder.
3. Stay in Big La Laguna Beach as already suggested and you wouldn't even know if there is any unsavoury scene near by! La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(LBC) has a small swimming pool but Campbell's Beach Resort is more economical. The small beach is good and safe to lie down and worshiping the SUN!

My suggestion: Stay at Campbell and dive with LBC which has more than one dive boat. May is low season and U2 probably would have the whole boat to yourselves(not too good if going to Verde Island). BTW, you make your own dive schedule especially during low season!
Canyons, Hole in the Wall, Kelimar drift(on not too strong ebb current) and Horse Head(36m) just to name a few.

Have a great one.

Thank you!l for all the info!

Good luck with your wreck diving too :)

Sabang Puerto Galera is a great place for divers and family alike. Lalaguna beach club and Scandi Divers is perfect place bec its far away from noisy and party area part of Sabang but still 10-15 minutes walking distance if want to visit during the day. You do have to take a 10 minute small boat ride from the port in sabang which cost about 10 $ for upto 4 person with luggage. And im going to Coron Palawan in March might do some wreck diving and will stay in Puerto Galera before heading back home. Verde Island is must dive place.
!

PC,
Just some quick input here. Dauin is supposedly the muck mecca of the Philippines. I haven't been, but you could do Moalboal and then head over to Dauin for a few days. I don't know if there's boats from Moalboal to Negros but Cebu/the region is very easy to get around.

As for Palawan, I would recommend against it unless you're really into wrecks. Coron is fantastic for that but to be honest I don't think the rest of the diving in Palawan is worth it (unless you count Tubbataha or Apo reefs, which are both reachable from Palawan).

Anilao and Puerto Galera is great for all around diving and especially for small stuff. Not a huge fan of Puerto as it attracts a somewhat shady crowd. I think mine and my girlfriend's favorite island is Malapascua (all things considered including the vibe), but then again we love the pelagics... Either way I'm sure you'll have a great stay no matter where you go, it's a splendid and underrated destination!

Mattis
Thanks

Thanks Mattis. Def sounds like the itinerary you mentioned will be more up our alley but unfortunately travel time to get there is a bit much for us with a toddler. So going to have to keep it for a couples-only trip

Thanks Mattis. Def sounds like the itinerary you mentioned will be more up our alley but unfortunately travel time to get there is a bit much for us with a toddler. So going to have to keep it for a couples-only trip

PC,

Mattis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom