Need Airplane to Holbox from Cozumel or Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alohagal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am single diver (single and alone). I am going on a two week trip to Cozumel (7 days) and Playa Del Carmen (7 days). While in Playa I plan to dive centotes see Chichen Itza and snorkel with the Whale Sharks on Holbox. To save time and frustration I would like to fly in small charter plane to Holbox and Chichen Itza . I was wondering if anyone out there will be doing the same and I could share your plane (especially to Holbox) I will be in the Cozumel/Playa area from 19 June to 3 July 09. I plan on staying at Scuba Club on Cozumel. Let me know if any of you are chartering a plane to Holbox...or would like to charter a plane to Holbox with me.

Mary:D

Hello,

I am single diver (single and alone). I am going on a two week trip to Cozumel (7 days) and Playa Del Carmen (7 days). While in Playa I plan to dive centotes see Chichen Itza and snorkel with the Whale Sharks on Holbox. To save time and frustration I would like to fly in small charter plane to Holbox and Chichen Itza . I was wondering if anyone out there will be doing the same and I could share your plane (especially to Holbox) I will be in the Cozumel/Playa area from 19 June to 3 July 09. I plan on staying at Scuba Club on Cozumel. Let me know if any of you are chartering a plane to Holbox...or would like to charter a plane to Holbox with me.

Mary:D

Hi Mary,

Here is a company that we have used, Airplane Workshop Mechanics Airplane Tours from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins, Holbox. I would contact them to see if there is a scheduled tour with space available. While you are in the neighborhood, stop by Ek Balam. When all is said and done, you will have more pictures of EB than CI.

Hi Driftwood,

Yes, I have a request in with them. Hoping someone out there wants to fly to Holbox and snorkel with Whale Sharks!!

Mary

All my best wishes that you find a flight, it is the way to see CI or Holbox.

All my best wishes that you find a flight, it is the way to see CI or Holbox.
Hi Driftwood,

Well, so far no luck on the plane. But I did find this link on another thread:
Snorkel With Whale Sharks Holbox Island From Playa del Carmen Mexico

Somehow they are able to cut out 4 hours of driving time from the trip to the Whale sharks (still don't understand how). So they will be my next best way to go! Thanks to Scubaboard and the incredible wealth of information on here, I have lost hours and hours of my life the last few days lurking! And Loving it!:wink:

Mary

Okay...what Tank Ha does to cut out 4 hours of driving time is:
They speed boat you from Playa Del Carmen to Puerto Juarez which is 6 miles from Cancun and you are there! Better then a 2 hour bus ride each way!! Oh yea!

Not quite, they bus you to Cancun and then speed boat you to the whale sharks. My knowledge of Cancun is very limited but I think that PJ is the main pier to go to Isle Mujueres. Holbox is pretty much due north from Valladolid and getting there is a long day from PDC. What I suspect Tank Ha is doing is catching the whale sharks at a different point in their migration.

Okay, this is what really goes on with the whaleshark tours from PDC.

All dive centers, unless they are state they are doing a two day trip to Holbox, provide a private van for their customers that takes them up to Cancun. This takes about an hour and you go to a marine area that is used by local tour operators, it is not any of the ferry piers that take you to Isla Mujueres.

From there you will get into a boat, all operators have different boats, different size engines, etc and you will be taken to the current GPS area where the whale sharks are. This can take about 1.5 hours...on the way you may see some dolphins, or manta rays, but the goal is to go to the spot that has been GPSed for where the whalesharks are currently located. This changes weekly, and the captains of the boats are responsible to have this information.

Once you snorkel with the whalesharks, you will return via the boat to cancun. SOme operators go to Isla for a lunch, some provide it on the boat, some provide it when you return, it really depends. Then you hop in to the van and return to PDC.

The trips are usually a 6 30 am pick up so that you can get to the whaleshark site early. The whalesharks usually feed on the surface until about noon or 1 pm and then go deeper as it gets hot for them and then plankton also goes deeper. The return time is usually about 4 to 5 pm, depending on your day, and that leaves you open to do something at night.

Historically, the trips ran directly for Holbox so pick ups in PDC were at 4 am and you returned at 8 pm...makes for a long day and most people dont want to do this.....so many PDC dive centers switched to Cancun.

this is a great trip and if people really want to fly to Holbox the price is about 325 usd per person for the day and the plane does require 4 people to do this trip. It can be done and it is a great way to do it, but the planes do leave later in the morning which can mean less time with the whalesharks as they do tend to go deeper and out of sight by about 1 pm...

if you ave any questions about Whaleshark tours let me know...happy to answer any questions people may have as it is a confusing and somewhat extensive tour. But well worth it!!!!

Wow,, Mexico,

I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the Local low down on how it really works. Yes..I will keep in touch with you. I am still on a wait list for the charter flight with AeroSaab. I you know another outfit to check with that would be great. Thanks,
Mary

"All dive centers, unless they are state they are doing a two day trip to Holbox,"

Did you mean to say two hour trip to Holbox?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom