Need Airplane to Holbox from Cozumel or Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico984's response is correct.
No need to go all the way to Holbox to see Whale Sharks. LONG HAUL !!! Tours are run from Isla Mujeres, [ just offshore Cancun ] , everyday , weather permitting in Summer . expect to pay about $125/pp. SNORKEL only. You can easily catch the bus [ CHEAP ] from Playa to Cancun, then taxi to the port [ Puerta Juarez ] to take you over to Mujeres. Ferry is $15 r/t. Easy to do !
Or contact Mexico984 who said there are some operators directly out of Cancun.

on a side note I was wondering if you're Deaf? Looks like the banana is signing "I love You". I'm a sign language interpreter.

No, not deaf, just waving hello! (could be Hawaiian "shaka" sign if index finger wasn't pointing up!)

Shaka Brah!

Mexico984's response is correct.
No need to go all the way to Holbox to see Whale Sharks. LONG HAUL !!! Tours are run from Isla Mujeres, [ just offshore Cancun ] , everyday , weather permitting in Summer . expect to pay about $125/pp. SNORKEL only. You can easily catch the bus [ CHEAP ] from Playa to Cancun, then taxi to the port [ Puerta Juarez ] to take you over to Mujeres. Ferry is $15 r/t. Easy to do !
Or contact Mexico984 who said there are some operators directly out of Cancun.

Okay...sounds like I just need to get myself to Cancun and find a dive (snorkel) operator from there? Tank Ha charges $185 for their whale shark tour. might be worth it to be in a non-public van for the trip up and back. Yuca-tek charges $220.00 but goes to Holbox from Playa. (much longer trip). :shocked2:
Mary

Yep ! It is easy to do, even for a 1st timer. This shop , in Cancun, & a frequent poster to this board, does tours.
Snorkel with whale shark - Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses

This is the public bus service from Playa ;[ buy round trip tx , less than $10 each way ! ] There is no need to be afraid or hesitant to ride their buses. Bus station in Playa used to be at the top of the hill above the Ferry landing. Not sure if it is still in the same place.
Cancun Bus Schedules, Fares, and Information - Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya

If the trip with Tank Ha for $185 is including your transportation from Playa, the boat tour, & trip back, it sounds like a good deal, in my opinion . Lather you back with sunscreen !!

Taking the trip to Holbox to swim with the Whale Sharks, is a LONG & tiresome ordeal. Two days trips are better on you if going that way.

Have a great time !

It's NOT a vacation,,,,,,,,, it's an ADVENTURE !!

Last edited:
Hello,

I am single diver (single and alone). I am going on a two week trip to Cozumel (7 days) and Playa Del Carmen (7 days). While in Playa I plan to dive centotes see Chichen Itza and snorkel with the Whale Sharks on Holbox. To save time and frustration I would like to fly in small charter plane to Holbox and Chichen Itza . I was wondering if anyone out there will be doing the same and I could share your plane (especially to Holbox) I will be in the Cozumel/Playa area from 19 June to 3 July 09. I plan on staying at Scuba Club on Cozumel. Let me know if any of you are chartering a plane to Holbox...or would like to charter a plane to Holbox with me.

Mary:D
Mary,

My family is spending 2 wks in Coz flying in Jun 27th. I've been considering taking them to Holbox but I question their enthusiasm considering the length of the trip (kids are 12 and 15). Chartering a flight would expedite things but then the cost adds up quickly for a family of 4. I'm curious which way you decide, I've been monitering your research. We could end up swimming along the sharks together. My wife and I dove the centotes a few years back, We loved it but I did run into a small eardrum problem half way through the 2nd dive. It's allot of up and down.
I'm sure you're looking forward to your trip as I know we sure are. Keep us posted.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great info CaptEstaban. I will seriously consider Mayan dive shop in Cancun. In fact you have me convinced to just bus it up to Cancun. My hotel in Playa is so cheap...I will stash my gear there and maybe head up north for TWO days of snorkel with whale sharks. I dove in Galapagos a few years back. Currents are strong. Only place I ever used an anchor hook to just "hover" in place waiting for Hammerheads, White tips, black tips and of course whale sharks. You just hang there waiting for creatures to come by. Suddenly in the distance you see something coming into focus and you are enveloped by what seems like the Star Ship Enterprise. One whale shark was so huge he skimmed my body as he went by. Of course since we were diving we were able to swim and fin like crazy to keep up with them. It was a thrill of a lifetime. I can't believe I only just discovered that they are in Mexico like clockwork. Maya guarantees whale shark snorkel!! Doesn't get any better than that.

Scotty B,

Lets do this thing. Out of Cancun...it is not such a long trip!

Okay: I just went to Mayan Aquadive web site....they pick up from Playa Del Carmen. They charge an extra $15.00 Total: $200.00. Sounds good to me! Either Tank Ha or Mayan! (of course if the plane comes through I would prefer that!!)

Last edited:
Alohagal, looking forward to a trip report when you get back. Sure wish I was going to be there at the same time as i would like to do the whale shark tour myself. Hopefully I'll be in Cozumel in late July and can arrange a whale shark tour while I am there.

No i meant two day as many years ago the trips were a two day trip with an overnight in holbbox. This avoided the 4 am pick up so that people could get to holbox by 7 am to get the boat to the whaleshark site in the gulf. The two day trip just made it more palatable. The trips are now running out of cancun so all of this can be avoided as per visitors reqest. No o e wanted to spend two days doi g whalesharks on a 5 or 7 day vacation.

The plane trips are expensive. The flight alone can be as high as 300 usd and then you still have to pay for the whalshark tour. Beautiful way to do it and if you have the cash wonderful but the cancun trips from playa are about 185 usd for the day. Everything in.

I will go to aerosab today and get theactual scoop and report later.

It is a fabulous trip no matter and i would encouage anyone who will be here to do it

Back
Top Bottom