Need Airplane to Holbox from Cozumel or Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been watching this thread and have a question....Are the whale shark trips exclusively snorkel only or can you dive with a tank as well? If you can dive, who offers it?

From what I have gathered the Mexican government does not allow you to DIVE with these whale sharks that come to this area around Holbox (and vicinity). It is strictly snorkeling.

From what I have gathered the Mexican government does not allow you to DIVE with these whale sharks that come to this area around Holbox (and vicinity). It is strictly snorkeling.
Wow - that was fast! Why?:confused: They don't like the bubbles?

Many years ago the dive centers used to do a two day trip to avoid a 330 am pickup to get to holbox. I have to say it was a great way to go as holbox is beautiful but this did not go over well with visitors who were here for 5 or 7 day holidays. Now all dive centers run their trips out of cancun so it is a 6 30 am to 4 pm trip and it does not impede any other vacation time.

That said i have the scoop on the flights to holbox.

Cost 560 usd plus 10% tax for the plane...each passenger also has to pay 50 usd a head for airport taxes....
Time 7 am leaving time but 11 am return time.
Flight duration is 40 mintues.

Now the challenges...anyone doing this will not return from their whaleshark trip until 12 30 or 1 pm so there will be a cost for the extra wait time. maximum amount of passengers is 5 people. This also does not cover the cost for the whaleshark tour which would have to be paid directly to the person boat in holbox. Additionally you still have to make the boat trip out to the whalesharks...

It was said to day that 4 have been spotted in the gulf so tour companies are gearing up to start the tours by the end of the month....

if you have any further questions or if i forgot anything let me know....happy to continue feeding information as it is easy for me...

Many years ago the dive centers used to do a two day trip to avoid a 330 am pickup to get to holbox. I have to say it was a great way to go as holbox is beautiful but this did not go over well with visitors who were here for 5 or 7 day holidays. Now all dive centers run their trips out of cancun so it is a 6 30 am to 4 pm trip and it does not impede any other vacation time.

That said i have the scoop on the flights to holbox.

Cost 560 usd plus 10% tax for the plane...each passenger also has to pay 50 usd a head for airport taxes....
Time 7 am leaving time but 11 am return time.
Flight duration is 40 mintues.

Now the challenges...anyone doing this will not return from their whaleshark trip until 12 30 or 1 pm so there will be a cost for the extra wait time. maximum amount of passengers is 5 people. This also does not cover the cost for the whaleshark tour which would have to be paid directly to the person boat in holbox. Additionally you still have to make the boat trip out to the whalesharks...

It was said to day that 4 have been spotted in the gulf so tour companies are gearing up to start the tours by the end of the month....

if you have any further questions or if i forgot anything let me know....happy to continue feeding information as it is easy for me...

Well...not quite as you state. I have done my own research and Aerosaab-the airplane company, includes the whale shark tour in their pricing. They take care of everything Whale Shark Tour, Holbox Island Go to this link!!

Also, Aerosaab has pricing for trips originating from Cancun, Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen!!! I am on a wait list with them hoping others will want to join in the cost and the trip!!

and you are right after i called them back...they gave me the information for the holbox flight not the holbox/whale shark trip...i9 love mexico some days

so this is the low down on the holbox whaleshark trip from the company:

265 usd plus 10% tax plus 50 Pesos per person for the airport tax, not 50 usd..and they will wait for you...not an issue..

sorry for the confusion...

and diving is not allowed...snorkeling only....that i know i am right on....

have fun no matter how you get there...it is a super fun time and all worth it!!!

Wow - that was fast! Why?:confused: They don't like the bubbles?
I don't have the link to the thread. But, I read somewhere that the powers that be ban diving because they feel the air bubbles from tanks will scare off the whale sharks. They just want to keep it low key. And only two people at a time from each boat get to go in the water to snorkel. You have to take turns to swim with the whale sharks. People get about 2-3 turns each to get in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom